06 Sherco 290

gassar

hi, new to this but learning fast, I have found some useful stuff and links here but,

had bike 2 weeks, seems to have been well maintained previously but I have some questions:-

1. where can I find an 06 manual/poster?

2. what is the mixture screw stock setting?

3. previously run at 50:1 fully synthetic I have changed to 70:1 but bike still smokes a little more than anyone else's?

4. bike has revved out (same as when tank is empty) but when at uphill angle and leaning to the right, is this normal or possible float level mis-adjustment?

5. what is the stock float level setting?

5. bike seems to run fine from cold but seems to lose some power when very warm, this may be normal, but I would like to know the cause and sort if possible?

hope someone can help?

Just a stab at the cold/hot running difference. Generally speaking, an engine runs lean when cold, that is why you need a choke or an enrichner when first starting. The warmer the engine gets the less lean it runs, so if an engine runs better cold with the choke off than it does fully warmed up then it is probably running too rich.

Neil

Manuals are available if you follow the stickies on this Sherco thread.

Change your Sparkis and ck your fan operation. The bike will not want to hot restart if it is overheated or on poor fuel! No race gas! ;)

It may still be trying to burn out excess oil from the exhaust. If you do not run it hadr, 80 or even 100:1 can be done with no probs on good oil!

Edited by copemech

hi,

yes, I have only managd to find 03 290 info, my airscrew is 2.5 turns out, this my be the problem as the 03 spec is 3.5 turns out, Just need to confirm 06 290 stock setting?

ta..gassar

yes, unfortunately there are no "owners manual" for the 06, nor for any years afer 2003 as far as I know. But, most of the information of the 2003 "poster/manual" still apply.

As for the gas screw, yes, the stock setting should be around 3.5 turns out.

Take note, contrary to many carbs, the screw on that dellorto carb acts this way: when you unscrew it you make the mixture richer (more gas)

i.e. 2.5 turns out is "leaner" than 3.5 turns out.

Hugo

cheers for that, leaner means hotter - explains possible slight loss in power when very warm - possibly causing 2t in exhaust to light off, this may have been the object of the previous owner. Tomorrow I'm off on my hols to southern France, might just pop over the border to the factory and see what I can blag. I'll try the stock setting next outing.

ta.. again.. gassar