I Can't Get My New Txt 280 Started!

irishjohn

Need some help here. I just purchased a 2003 GasGas TXT 280 Pro. The previous owner let it sit for 9 months with gas in the tank and carb. Needless to say that went bad. The bike wouldn't start however the price was so good, I figured it wouldn't be a problem sorting it out.

When I got her home, I drained the tank, disassembled and cleaned the carb, cleaned the air filter and check the spark plug. I am getting pretty good spark although I believe the plug should be replaced as it looks like it was fouled previously.

I mixed up some new gas, put everything back together, but no go.

I've double checked everything. What am I missing? The fuel line has one of those inline filters in it and yes it is installed the right direction. Suggestions????

Need some help here. I just purchased a 2003 GasGas TXT 280 Pro. The previous owner let it sit for 9 months with gas in the tank and carb. Needless to say that went bad. The bike wouldn't start however the price was so good, I figured it wouldn't be a problem sorting it out.

When I got her home, I drained the tank, disassembled and cleaned the carb, cleaned the air filter and check the spark plug. I am getting pretty good spark although I believe the plug should be replaced as it looks like it was fouled previously.

I mixed up some new gas, put everything back together, but no go.

I've double checked everything. What am I missing? The fuel line has one of those inline filters in it and yes it is installed the right direction. Suggestions????

I think you've got the Dellorto VHST26BS carb on your 03' (the only year they used it) so you want to be sure that the "starter jet" is also clear (it feeds the "choke" circuit). When you kick over the bike over, don't open the throttle at all with the "choke" lever up (actually not a true "choke", but an enrichening device). Pilot jets orifices are very small in diameter and it's easy to mistake them being open and clean.

I'd put a new plug (BPR5ES or better yet, a BPR5EIX set at .024", .6mm) in, as it's not unusual for a plug to spark when out of the head but fail under the pressure of compression when installed.

Check for fuel flow out of the petcock and that the floatbowl is filling (theres a disk filter on the side of the carb). Just to be sure, you might want to make sure the flywheel key is not sheared (the bike may not have been running when stored).

That's a start, let us know if the problem persists.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I'll check those out and let you know. This may be a stupid question so bear with me. A buddy of mine said the GasGas required a different starting technique, kicking back on the started rather than down. Was he having me on? Can't see this would make any difference but, over the years I have owned enough bike which strange quirks to at least ask.

Thanks Jon, I'll check those out and let you know. This may be a stupid question so bear with me. A buddy of mine said the GasGas required a different starting technique, kicking back on the started rather than down. Was he having me on? Can't see this would make any difference but, over the years I have owned enough bike which strange quirks to at least ask.

Interesting concept, but I doubt it is anchored in mechanical reality. Starting proceedure is essentially the same as for any 2S bike: push slowly on lever to put piston on compression stroke and then engage rachet mechanism at top of lever stroke and use body weight to fire it off. That way you don't have to use leg muscle (and energy), kicking back, and use weight instead.

Jon

I have deterimined that I an not getting any gas to the carb. All of the jets have been cleaned and cleaned again. Air and gas flows through freely when it is apart. Put it back together and no gas.

Is there an up and down side to the 2 fuel floats? Does the rounded side go up or down? Maybe I have put the floats in wrong and they are shutting off the gas?