I Ache All Over

Started Trials in the last week - done some green laning and a bit of enduro some time back.

But my wrists really ache when I am stood and especially doing stand up wheelies- feels really alien- will this get better?- I find all my precision goes out the window as my body weight is held up by my wrists- should I be gripping with my legs -should I still be covering clutch and front brake with my index fingers? Really enjoying it though.

Help much appreciated.

cheers

Bob

Move your bars either away from you or towards you, if this doesnt help they may be too high or too low, cant say without looking at the bike or how short/tall you are. Could also be your levers are too upright

Edited by The Addict

As a kid I always used to grip with the legs, my Fantic side panels used to wear out in no time, and I automatically rode like that when I came back, but it seems it's not really done these days. My best riding seems to be done fairly bow legged with the knees taking up all the bumps, so the body stays where it is and the bike bobs about under you.

Maybe need to use your legs a bit more to take the pressure off the arms, but yep, arm pump is a problem for most of us. Loads of time on the bike and loads of liquids to stop the cramp is about all you can do I think.

I always have at least one finger covering the levers. Maybe look at the lever position. I notice a lot of youngsters seem to have them higher than us oldies, but see what's comfortable.

Yup it's normal. For those of us with a winter it's part of the spring time ritual, getting over the sore back and wrists. As suggested you might want to look at your bar position.

Although it seems counter intuitive, having the bars too far back causes your weight to be too far forward and adds stress to your wrists because you stand too tall your, er... lower ballast region, moves too far forward and you have to try to control body position with your arms with little leverage rather then just being naturally balanced. In a proper position on the bike you won't need any pressure on your hands to be balanced at rest. Having the bars too far back is a common error for new trials riders.

If you have the bars too far forward the bike will be extremely quick steering especially on the loop. Too far forward also tends to strain the back as you try to compensate by hanging your butt to the rear leaving the arms under constant stress.

Usual bar position is straight up to slightly forward.

Edited by Dan Williams

• 11 months later...