175 Four Stroke, Forks And Gearing

westyfield

This has probably been asked but can someone tell me the weight and quantity of oil for the Paioli forks on my '07, 175?

Also, has anyone found the standard gearing a touch high? The sprockets are 57/14

The bike I have just aquired from "Graham" up in Chorley I'm told was a Birkett demonstrator and has a few scuffs to show for it but everything seems to work and run as it should. A new rear IRC and a run out in the Peak Classic trial at Youlgreave this weekend are planned. Not strictly in keeping with the intended air-cooled mono class way of thinking I know but we will see how it goes..

I was after the same info for my 125, no replies though. Some folk throw teddies over the a/c mono debate and the Scorpa. I usually find after they watch me through a couple of sections they realise there is nothing to crow about with this bloke. :(

14/57 is the street gearing, that must be quick through the sections! Normal trials gearing (at least on the 125) is 10/57, with virtually everything being ridden in first gear.

Give Birks a call re the fork volumes, the lads are very helpful with advice.

Also, has anyone found the standard gearing a touch high? The sprockets are 57/14

That gearing is far too high, thats road gearing. The standard is 11t on the front, but I have dropped mine down to 10 makes 2nd gear a lot more usable, a bit slower between sections tho.

You can get the user manual from here CLICK ME I had a look through but it doesn't tell you which weight to use so you would be better ringing scorpa guru mr birkett Tel.(+44) 1229-716806

I imported my Scorpa TY-S 125F Long Ride 2006 new from Joa Hindren, 12 times Finnish trials champion and importer of Scorpa. He adviced Castrol Fork Oil 5W between 320 and 350 ml in each leg. I also downloaded "TY-S125F - SY125F PARTS LIST & USER MANUAL 2004-1.pdf" from the Japanese importer Alpes Vent. I don't understand Japanese but for TYS125F it mentions 140mm and 300cc and for SY125F 60-70mm, 130-150mm and 330cc. Left and right fork legs are different on the racing models.

.. thanks for all the input people.

I have ordered a 10t gearbox sprocket (original was actually 11t, sorry)

Not sure of the exact model I have so a call to messrs Birkett when they re-open after the classic dirt bike show is next to help sort out which forks are fitted. I wanted to get the oil changed changed for Sunday but will wait and see how it goes.

A new air-filter delivered this morning after a telephone order to Pennine TS at only 4pm yesterday!

New IRC fitted at B&S in Kirkby today.. thanks Brent, saved a struggle!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

thespikeyone, does that 10t gear box sprocket make a lot of diffrence to 2nd? i find second pretty much unusbale on tight sections but like it on bigger/longer climbs, do you find it more usable in genral?? (i ride a 125 not 175)

• 2 weeks later...

FORK OIL.. for info, on the '07 175 with hydraulic clutch.. RH leg.. 370cc. LH Leg.. 350cc of 5W oil

Fantastic little bike that this is I have decided to pass it on and return to my faithfull Fantics! Having ridden twinshock and pre-65 for so long I find the techniques required to ride a modern bike a step too far. Something about old dogs and new tricks maybe! Check it out on Flebay! (am I allowed to say that??)