Another Newbie In Wyoming/colorado

qcowboy

Howdy Gang!

I just read Judson's intro here, so it seems I'm not the only new rider along the Front Range. I live near Laramie, just across the state line from Fort Collins. I'm an absolute newbie to trials, and I have yet to attend an event.

My introduction to trials was, lets say, rough. A wonderful couple, Will and Jen, from Woodland park brought a couple trials bikes to a weekend gathering of adventure riders in the forest near Buena Vista, Colorado. They welcomed us all to try out the trials bikes, and set up some simple obstacles for us to practice on. After gaining confidence riding over small logs and stumps, I decided I could tackle the "trojan rabbit", a man-made obstacle/torture device, designed to lure newbies to their demise.

Well, as you can imagine, after having a number of new riders trying them, those two trials bikes got dropped a few times that day. By the time I was ready to try the trojan rabbit, the throttle on one bike was getting sticky from the grit that had worked its way inside. I hit the rabbit, came off the pegs as I went over, and the sticky throttle took the bike right out from under me. The now riderless bike shot across the campground until it was tackled by an unlucky tent. The tent fabric wrapped up into the back tire. And wrapped around again. And again. Ultimately, we had to cut the tent fabric away to free the back wheel of the trials bike, and I bought myself a slightly used tent!

The most humiliating part of the experience came afterward, when I learned that not one, but two cameras had caught the whole incident on film. One of the other newbie riders that day made up a film montage of my foibles, and a few of his own, and posted them on Youtube to torture me for eternity:

Apparently the experience with the trojan rabbit was not enough to discourage me from my interest in trials. I've recently purchased a very inexpensive bike to get started and learn the sport. I bought the SWM TL320 that many of you probably saw on Craigslist and Ebay and RMTA websites recently. It will need some work, but it should run well enough to help me learn.

002.jpg

I expect to join both RMTA and WMTA, since competitions hosted by both organizations are about the same distance away from me. It sounds like there may be some interest in additional events along the front range, north of I-70. I have some experience organizing equestrian events, so I'll be thinking, as I learn this sport, about setting up an event near Laramie. We have lots of BLM and Forest Service land around that should be suitable.

I also have an offer, for those along the Front Range who would like a chance to ride indoors during the winter. I am having an indoor equestrian arena built, and it should be finished in mid-January. I'd be willing to host a couple indoor training sessions over the winter, if someone local would be willing to teach. I have plenty of wood and stone available to build smallish, portable obstacles, so we could set up a newbie training course and ride inside. If we happen to get good weather for the weekend, we could also ride in my pasture, where I have lots of horse jumps built from railroad ties, which could easily be rebuilt into trials training obstacles. I also have an abandoned irrigation ditch running through the pasture, that might lend itself to some training opportunities. Any other newbies out there who want some training this winter?

Edited by qcowboy

qcowboy,

WELCOME!!! Welcome to the madness! WMTA & RMTA are both GREAT! I would love to ride indoors with you.... or outdoors as weather permits. I am in the amatuer class (just above novice) so I do not have much to offer in learning, other than encouragement, a high entertainment value, help to pick you and your bike off of eachother and an occasional dare :thumbup: I do have Ryan Young's Video we could watch and attempt to emulate. You may want to pick up a copy. I can help you setup some easy sections that would not be too tough. Usually the trail ride is the most dificult thing for newer riders, but since you have riding experience, and a place to practice, you shouldn't have any problems come spring time.

I just picked up a bike over the weekend. I got a used 2002 Sherco 2.9. It was in pretty decent shape. I let my kid ride it and was teaching him clutch control. He was doing fine until he used the clutch like a switch and looped it out. Munched the plastic but he was ok.

Can't wait to ride with you!

-Judson

I just picked up a bike over the weekend. I got a used 2002 Sherco 2.9. It was in pretty decent shape.

Can't wait to ride with you!

-Judson

I'll bet $100 you and I bought our bikes from the same South African in Colorado Springs! I was sorely tempted to jump on the Sherco, but he didn't advertise it for sale until the day AFTER I bought the SWM.

I've ordered the Ryan Young video, since everyone around here raves about it. I watched a short Youtube video excerpt, and I do agree that his teaching style should work well for me. I've also been reading and watching the lesson on the trials training center site: http://trialstrainingcenter.com/html/how_to_ride.html

I'll let you know when my indoor arena is finished, and you can come up to Wyoming for a day or a weekend-long practice session. It should be complete by mid-January. I also know some single-track trails near RedFeather Lakes that would be great fun on a trials bike! (I've done them on my KLR, which is a good deal more work/less fun!)

I'll bet $100 you and I bought our bikes from the same South African in Colorado Springs! I was sorely tempted to jump on the Sherco, but he didn't advertise it for sale until the day AFTER I bought the SWM.

I've ordered the Ryan Young video, since everyone around here raves about it. I watched a short Youtube video excerpt, and I do agree that his teaching style should work well for me. I've also been reading and watching the lesson on the trials training center site: http://trialstrainingcenter.com/html/how_to_ride.html

I'll let you know when my indoor arena is finished, and you can come up to Wyoming for a day or a weekend-long practice session. It should be complete by mid-January. I also know some single-track trails near RedFeather Lakes that would be great fun on a trials bike! (I've done them on my KLR, which is a good deal more work/less fun!)

I am up for that trail ride in Red Feather!

I had the privilege to attend one of Ryan's classes a few years back, it was top notch. Too bad I didn't ride trials for the last few years after to practice the techniques.... lol.

Don't go betting with me, I rarely loose. I won't take your money, just your generous offer to come up and ride with you!

I got my bike for about $500 less and paid $25 to ship it from SoCal.... Long story... lol. I had already sent the money off for this one when I saw his ad. I would have liked to have at least looked at it, seemed like a decent price. I'll definitely let you ride mine to see how the Sherco feels, each mfgr has a distinct feel about them. I LOVE the Beta brand, but this was in my price range.

Take care!

Hi

Nice to see we have another rider here in Wyoming, have you seen the WMTA web page at www.geosities.com/twoftup

There is one WMTA member in the Laramie area and several around Cheyenne. Always looking for some where to ride,

could put a school together. Don't worry, everyone started at the same place as you.

Nice SWM, I had a new 84 TL 320 many years ago.

Fred

email me, and I'll get you some phone numbers of members in your area

2feetup@vcn.com

Hi

Nice to see we have another rider here in Wyoming, have you seen the WMTA web page at www.geosities.com/twoftup

There is one WMTA member in the Laramie area and several around Cheyenne. Always looking for some where to ride,

could put a school together. Don't worry, everyone started at the same place as you.

Fred

2feetup@vcn.com

Good to see you here Fred!

Can't wait for warmer weather. I just removed a few inches of global warming from my driveway... :thumbup:

See you in the Spring!

-Judson

Hi

Fred

2feetup@vcn.com

Thanks for the welcome! Email headed your way!

I had one of those, the clutch dragged terribly. The cure was after cleaning the plates to run automatic gear oil. enjoy your riding

I'm having problems with the clutch dragging too. It's particularly frustrating because it is difficult to find neutral, so I tend to stop with the clutch pulled, and I have to hold the bike with the brakes, or it wants to roll forward.

I already changed out the oil to ATF, as I've heard that recommendation from other SWM owners as well. So far, the clutch still drags, but I haven't ridden much since the oil change, nor made any great effort to adjust it. I'm waiting for a new clutch cable to arrive. After installing it, I'll spend some time making adjustments and riding the bike. If that doesn't help, I expect I'll pull the clutch basket, clean up the plates, and try fresh fluid again. When I drained the old transmission oil, it clearly had got a lot of water mixed in, as it came out looking like a creamy milkshake. That oil/water mix can't have been good for the friction surfaces, but I was hoping that riding the bike with fresh oil in the gearbox would clean them up over time, without pulling the clutch apart.

Edited by qcowboy