Oder Beta Questions

sting32

Hey guys n gals...

I just saw this add at motosoup, didnt give a location but lets pretend that it was close enough for me to pickup, say for 1000-1200 dollars US.

94' Beta Techno in great shape, usual scratches, almost new 280 top end and new clutch, o-rings and seals ...runs great

what about these beta's do I need to:

1. worry about

2. be sure to look at, or ask about

any weak spots? I'm trying to get a buddy started, he's riding good and in a year I expect to see him winning in the novice class.

also looking for a bike for his 12 year old son, who will be beating most the novices within 1/2 year ;):) (he's got some natural ability)

help me out here... Im in Kansas. :)

Hey there Kansas! The '94 Beta Techno is a great bike! The rear shock linkage may be worn if the owner was not into greasing the bushings etc. Check for slack. This will cost some money to fix. The Clutch is usually stuck after sitting, but this is not a repair issue, just an annoyance. The ignition module could fail at any time, but hey, it's just like a light bulb. There's no way to know when it's gonna' go. The carb. has been known to have needle and seat wear issues, (if it has a mikuni) that may lead to dripping carb. overflow. You will want to replace the needle and seat and floats if it has the peeing carb. syndrome. (float level setup is available on the net which is critical also) I recomend keeping a spare rear brake pedal as for me it was a frequently replaced item. The rear brake especially is a neglected item and may require new rubber seals in the master cyl. and rear caliper, plus new rear pads just to get a nice effective rear brake. Good luck bleeding the rear brake, which is a can of worms on any trials bike. The Beta I bought had bad steering head bearings as it had never been greased, and needed new fork seals within 6 months due to neglect. That's all that comes to mind right off the bat. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you. Jay L.