Txt280 Front Forks

txt_280

Hi all,

I'm after some info on the front forks on a 2001 txt280

I've only just bought the bike (first trials bike), after having a bit of a ride round when I got home noticed the forks to be very soft, as if comp & rebound set to zero. After having a closer inspection found on the bottom of the right fork (as you sit on bike) there appears to be a bolt missing?? should it be holding oil in??

I'm guessing this side is for rebound as on the left hand side there is a little knob with 'C' +/- compression?? I have turned this, it will go approx 1 turn in total and it makes no difference to how the forks move.

Any info greatly appriciated!!

Hi all,

I'm after some info on the front forks on a 2001 txt280

I've only just bought the bike (first trials bike), after having a bit of a ride round when I got home noticed the forks to be very soft, as if comp & rebound set to zero. After having a closer inspection found on the bottom of the right fork (as you sit on bike) there appears to be a bolt missing?? should it be holding oil in??

I'm guessing this side is for rebound as on the left hand side there is a little knob with 'C' +/- compression?? I have turned this, it will go approx 1 turn in total and it makes no difference to how the forks move.

Any info greatly appriciated!!

Hi!

Sounds like the "base bolt" has dropped out. It's the capscrew that threads up into the bottom of the lower fork leg and into the lower part of the damping cartridge. It holds the cartridge to the bottom, inside of the lower fork leg and also keeps oil in, as you've found out. Hopefully, you may not have caused any damage and replacing the capscrew (it also takes a copper washer) will fix it.

The right side is rebound and left is compression. Both are "high-speed" tuning damper adjusters, and (if they are not mal-adjusted and set up correctly) usually affect the fork damping when they take a fairly big hit. The adjusters should turn more than one turn, however.

Jon

cheers for the reply Jon

Can anyone tell me how much oil is supposed to go in each fork leg?

300cc's of 5-weight fork oil per leg. If you need a little more damping, use Dexron ATF, which is about 7.5-weight. As the compression and rebound cartridges are split (each to one fork assembly), you can adjust the settings separately by the viscosity.

Cheers.

Jon

Silly question I know but how do you top the oil up??

Does anybody have the standard settings for the rebound and compression i.e. how many clicks in or out??

cheers

Probably best to drain the oil out and flush with a solvent, let dry and then add the 300cc's of oil. Just drop the upper tube down aboyt 4" and dribble the oil in between the spring coils. The 01's seem to work well with the rebound all the way in and the compression all the way out.

Jon