Mitani Exhaust And Silencer (175f)

daved444

175 Scorpa eh - is this yours or the old man's. Must be yours as he wouldn't be asking about Mitani stuff.... :D

I wouldn't waste your money unless you want the look of the Mitani. Yes, a correctly working exhaust is important but there is a lot of hype with aftermarket stuff - for good reason, they want to sell it... I put a Mitani front pipe on my 4RT but I wasn't expecting any performance/torque increase or softening of power despite the hype and I never got any. I fitted it because I hated the look of the hideous, nasty looking rat's tail original. Never made a scrap of difference to the way it ran.

You only have to look at the 175f that Kev Seward (Birkett's former mechanic) was using. No hyped up performance extras. Standard exhaust with modified baffle, I had a ride on it and it ran very well. More importantly, the suspension was set up superbly and there are far more gains to be had from that than power, although there is nothing wrong with the suspension out of the box. It's just that they are very good at setting up suspension as you'd expect.

To be realistic, the type of trials and sections that you'd be riding the 175 in, power isn't going to be an issue and what it has will be more than adequate. It will easily cope with the sections in the Traditional series for example or any of the clubman routes in national events. Remember, when the 125 first came out Martin Crosswaite rode it on the national course in the Lakes 2 day, just to show what they were capable of. I was close to him for most of one day and couldn't believe what he was throwing it up.

If you want it for the looks though, that's another matter and as good enough a reason as any to buy one. So get your wallet out.

Yes. I've just built a 200 Rayer with the Mitani titanium pipe and can. Weight improvement over standard is unbelievable. Seems to let the 200 breath a lot better than the standard silencer with the cross baffles removed. The bike is still running in so I'll add further comments later, but the first impression compared to the 143cc it used to be, is that there are now many more horses pushing that rear wheel, and they work from idle up. You can see the machine on The Hellteam page, via the Mitani link. I've grabbed one of those titanium bolt sets also and reckon there's a saving of 500g minimum just by using them. Once the New Year is behind I should have more to say about the bike and the Mitani gear. One thing you have to admit is that it is aircraft quality machining and build.

Thanks for the replies;

Woody - yes, I couldnt handle not having a bike in the shed so these looked like a bit of reasonably priced fun that allow you to have a laugh without feeling the need to ride the hard route.... Dad has got himself a 125 too....

I have a flat bash plate on the way to help with a bit of ground clearance and a new wilburs shock is next from John Gaskell built for by slender frame(it sorted the rear end of the Beta out so I want this the same)

The Mitani stuff looks great though if the performance is not going to change too much it seems like a big cost for a bit of bling - might be worth having the rust prone front pipe chromed and a carbon cover for the silencer to tidy it up.

Other than that I am quite please with how it performs - the little engine goes well. The clutch is a bit grabby but it is so low geared I might just have to learn to ride Woody style......

Rayer200 - your bike looks lovely - interested to hear how it goes when you have run it in..... have you done any clutch mods to yours?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the clutch is a little vicious as standard. I tidied up the basket when we rebuilt the engine and this made a great deal of difference to the take up. But it has turned vicious again since. I am told that modfiying the lever which actuates the clutch rod can make a difference so I may try that. Other than that the bike runs very well compared to the original 175.