Strange Noise Coming From Engine

mikey_boy

Hey guys and merry christmas!

So I've just been dusting my 2003 TXT 280 Edition off ready for a new years day ride and it seems to have developed a rattle when I started it up. This may have been there before but I have only just noticed it. It seems to be coming from the front of the bike and almost sounds like its in the engine which is worrying me a little.

A friend of mine described the noise as "chain rattle" to give you an idea of what it sounds like. I am by no means a mechanic but grasp the basics so I will most likely take it into the local shop in the new year when normal opening hours are resumed, but I just wanted a bit of a heads up as too what it might be as its really playing on mind.

Before any one asks everything in the area seems tight B) etc, I had the fuel tank off so I could get a good look in there and couldn't spot anything at all that might be loose.

So any one any ideas or is this guna hurt me in the wallet department :rolleyes:

Edit: I did a bit of a search on here and a lot of people say its normal for the clutch to rattle, however, this does not stop when you pull the clutch?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikey_boy

Do you have a floating disc on the front? Thay can rattle sometimes. Start the bike up and hold the disc see if that stops it. Other than that any obvious parts that can rattle on tickover, just grab them and see if the rattling stops. ie. pegs, levers, kickstart, stand etc etc.

So I've just been dusting my 2003 TXT 280 Edition off ready for a new years day ride and it seems to have developed a rattle when I started it up. This may have been there before but I have only just noticed it. It seems to be coming from the front of the bike and almost sounds like its in the engine which is worrying me a little.

Hi Mike.

Anytime a bike is "dusted off" for a ride, it's a good idea to do some basic maintenance first and this will avoid a lot of problems. I would imagine that a lot of bikes are "put away wet", so they are usually in need of some attention when stored.

Minimally, I would:

drain the fuel completely, flush the tank and mix a fresh batch

clean the carb completely, especially the floatbowl and jets

and the fuel filters (petcock screens also)

walk around the bike and tighten (and inspect) all the various

nuts, bolts etc. which will allow an overall close inspection and

spend a few minutes spraying a little lube on all the normal

pivot points (levers, kickstart, chain tensioner etc.)

change the trans oil to eliminate water/condensation contamination

clean and inspect the airbox and clean the air filter

put in a fresh plug so if it runs poorly, you've eliminated that as

a problem and will be able to get an idea of any jetting problems

as you've got a good baseline for a plug reading

This way, you will probably have eliminated problems before they start

and can have a guilt-free ride. An hour's worth of time at the start will

often save multiple hours later in diagnosis and repair.

Cheers

Jon