04 Sherco Rear Suspension

copemech

Ok, for all those wondering about retrofitting the earlier bikes with the new Delta link, I decided to try one as Ryan(RYP) had one available and said it should work on all earlier models. I had been one of the first to ride the new 04 model that David Chaves had recieved and really could not tell a lot of difference initially, but the bike was still new and somewhat stiff with new springs not broken in yet, but I decided to try one on my 03 bike anyway with Ryan's blessing (and 70 bucks)!

Apparently there is indeed not much of a change in the shock 03-04 and probably no change in the spring however I do not have the part numbers to be sure.

Anyway, spending a rainy evening last week, I installed the new widget, noting the slight differences in its dimensions as compared to the original, and lubed everything as per the proper maintenance ov the dog bones. After reassembly, the first thing I had to do was to crank up the spring preload a couple of turns to decrease the static sag to just about 1/2 to 3/4in to feel correct when depressing the rear, it seemed quite plush! Then waited untill today when the ground dried enough to do a bit of a practice session in the back yard.

Well, after a half hour or so of riding the logs and curbs in the back, the analogy that came to mind was like the difference in a foam pillow and a soft feather down pillow. It just felt good and very compliant if a bit soft by comparison. I may need to jack up the spring a bit more, not sure yet.

Guess I will find out at the next outing!

Cheers and Merry Christmas! :santawink: