Wilber Shocks

borus

I didn't know this brand before reading another post on shocks here... I was curious too and found out a bit more info.

Seems it is a german brand and more easily available in Europe than oversea. (The YSS is another brand in itself and I don't think it's being used in trials)

If you follow this link you'll see the different possible applications and Sherco is listed there:

wilbers application/price list

For the spring rate and configuration, they would go by your weight.

A UK shop as a page with some pictures of a Sherco being equipped with the shock unit in question.

general info

more specific page on the trials shocks

Still, no real comments / feedback from actual riders... it would be nice to hear some impressions.

Hugo

Hi Borus / Hugo

The Wilburs shock i used was a Blue line shock part no 630-895-00 as recomended by Wilburs.

It is fitted with a 80kg rating spring.

This shock bolted straight into my 08 320 4T frame with no problems at all.

My impressions are

The build quality is superb

The shock has been made to fit the Sherco brand bike spot on

The shock has been tested along side a Sherco 08 290 2T fitted with a TRP shock and the first impressions are that it is every bit as good as the TRP and maybe even better when I

get it run in.

The bike feels very plush at the rear wheel now and the rear wheel seems to grip more.

It is good to see some trials riders do some RESEARCH before firing off at the hip.

I would recomend this shock to trials riders given the results from our testing and initial trials, as time and rides are put on the shock I will keep you posted

Cheers

Johnny Sherco

Hi Copemech

We have not yet fitted the Wilburs into a 09 yet but no doubt it will happen in due course.

As far as to the difference to the std shock it is heaps better in all aspects, and you also have to factor in that this shock is fully rebuildable and serviceable, where

the original shock is not. You have to make sure you keep the shock clean and give it a spray with WD40 or something to try and keep the dirt away from the shock

shaft, as thats what kills the shocks as, as you know the dirt can get in anywhere.

We were trying to get a YSS shock developed but when this came up with my suspension dealer becoming the Australia importer, we decided to order the wilburs and give it a

try, and time will tell regarding performance and reliability.

Cheers

Johnny Sherco

when you google it the feedback from the road guys it is very good, as good or better than ohlins if that's possible, i see on the wilbers german page the shock for the sherco is 449 euro's. i'm certainly just a very average rider but i am not impressed with the olle compared to other bikes i've tried like the mont and gg. i have an expert suspension guy in my town that sells ohlins so i think i'm going to get his feedback on the wilbers.

cheers

The delta link is still showing part no C157 the same as previous years bikes. Last change was 2004 I think.

Yea, but I also know how they operate, and do not tell! Things just progress! And retain the replacement part number!

Ryan was the one who mentioned it to me, yet I have no idea if fact or fiction, as all off the record.

The was a real change from the '03-'04, of a couple mm in the link! I still have the old one! Did not make the shock any better, as they were good but slow and non adjustable.

Inverting the shock in the latter years has led to direct exposure to the shaft and seals, where as the earlier models did not have to contend with this as much, and I have considered this to be an issue. And although I have been lazy, development of a proper deflector was on my list early on, as I have always considered it an issue. And still not quite sure why they must be inverted? Possibly the "crap runs downhill" theory?

I always turn mine back around so the seals at the top out of the way of all the dirt, you have to be careful doing this as the earlier (06 caby & 07's possibly some 08's) adjustable rear shock units required the frame to be ground away so it wouldn't rub the frame.

The delta link has definitely changed this year but I though it was just made larger to protect the bottom of the shock from rock impacts, I'm not sure if the leverage ratio has changed at all?

Hi All

If you turn your shock upside down you may find that the shock will not work correctly. I spoke to my suspension supplier/repairer and he informed me that

the way the shock is in the new Sherco bikes is in fact the correct way up in the shock world. Also you are right gravity does help to keep the dirt away from

the seal area. He also said that it was very important to keep your bike clean in the area of the rear shock. You will find also that the shock has been fitted

with the seal down because the shocks are what they call emoulsion type of shocks eg oil with high press gas in them as well, so in the normal position as

fitted from the factory all the oil will be at the piston head and the gas at the top, so if you turn the shock upside down then you get gas at the piston head and oil at the bottom

which will cause the shock to not work correctly. I hope that makes sence to you.

The Wilburs shock has the shaft at the bottom, also the rebound adjuster can be got at easily, you will find that the TRP shock is also like this!

Life is full of choices

Cheers

Johnnysherco

And although I have been lazy, development of a proper deflector was on my list early on, as I have always considered it an issue. And still not quite sure why they must be inverted? Possibly the "crap runs downhill" theory?

why not slide an inner tube over the shock and twist tie at both ends? :thumbup:

cheers

Hey Boros - We did that on a lot of Beta's - but just cut the inner tube to fit then sliced down the middle & wrapped around the shock -secured with three zip ties. keeps all the crap from the shock and is cheap. - we also recommend using Opti Pro shop spray ( available in Canada and USA) for use after riding or washing for forks and rear shock. ( better than wd 40)

Hi All

If you turn your shock upside down you may find that the shock will not work correctly. I spoke to my suspension supplier/repairer and he informed me that

the way the shock is in the new Sherco bikes is in fact the correct way up in the shock world. Also you are right gravity does help to keep the dirt away from

the seal area. He also said that it was very important to keep your bike clean in the area of the rear shock. You will find also that the shock has been fitted

with the seal down because the shocks are what they call emoulsion type of shocks eg oil with high press gas in them as well, so in the normal position as

fitted from the factory all the oil will be at the piston head and the gas at the top, so if you turn the shock upside down then you get gas at the piston head and oil at the bottom

which will cause the shock to not work correctly. I hope that makes sence to you.

The Wilburs shock has the shaft at the bottom, also the rebound adjuster can be got at easily, you will find that the TRP shock is also like this!

Life is full of choices

Cheers

Johnnysherco

Oh, I do appreciate fully whhat you are saying here. I can only suppose from that point that the earlier units were also different internally?

Several points made here on the thread. And several thoughts come to mind.

Firstly. I would find it difficult to totally wrap it, as you could not seal it off properly, and it would still require a good reglar cleaning. Non to mention the fact that you really do not want to trap ant corrosive material in there.

I have considered riviting a support and rubber flap off the airbox, but the positioning is less than ideal, and the attachment to airbox difficult to perform correctly and reliably!

I am almost thinking that a thick neoprene sheet(similar to the 'inner tube') method may well work as a descent flap, if only secured at the top of the spring with a zip tye or wire tye, just covering the back half of the thing from the blast off the tire, yet still easily moved and flexable enough to clean around. Not perfect, yet ? Better than nothing!

M2C