Tiger Cub Popping Exhaust

mik60ish

The carb works well on the Cub but I had exactly the same problem. I believe the fault is the length of the inlet tract. I did not extend mine as I changed to the Del Orto which is perfect in all areas with no spit back,but it does have a longer inlet.

Tony

edited due to me getting my R's and elbow mixed up..

banging in the exhaust may be caused by too weak a pilot mixture when the throttle is closed - or too rich a pilot mixture and an air leak in the exhaust. the reason in either case is is that the mixture has not fired in the cylinder and fired in the hot exhaust. violent explosions in the silencer during descents may be because the throttle is not closing fully. if the bike bangs when the throttle is open then the problem is ignition.

Edited by totalshell

Gday, all engines go over-rich on deaccelleration, this is because some fuel sticks to the inlet tract walls during normal running. When you shut the throttle you increase manifold vacuum greatly and so this fuel gets drawn into the engine (over rich!) If there is a hole in the exhaust (leaking gasket etc.) this adds a bit of air and given enough heat, combustion occurs - banging in the pipe! This is a common cause of "backfires". Also as written above the other issues can cause the same thing. If the bike idles and starts OK your jetting is correct so dont change it! Check the other stuff first.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork.