Cub Hubs - Dead ?

b40rt

I'd say they were at end of life <slight understatement>. Cast Iron can be successfully welded or brazed, but in this instance I'd advise against it.

Only possible repair scenario I could think of is the machine off the whole flange and sweat a newly machined steel one in it's place, but thats likely to cost more than a replacement hub I'd guess.

Are they Bantam hubs?

Wayne....

I'd say they were at end of life <slight understatement>. Cast Iron can be successfully welded or brazed, but in this instance I'd advise against it.

Only possible repair scenario I could think of is the machine off the whole flange and sweat a newly machined steel one in it's place, but thats likely to cost more than a replacement hub I'd guess.

Are they Bantam hubs?

Wayne....

Hi Wayne

They were cub hubs, the rear had been widened buy about 20mm. They had been really good up till now ! I think the spokes were stainless, which might have accelerated up their demise, as apparently stainless has no "give" Putting a steel flange on may be a possibility, as basically the other side is a pressed on flange.

Ross

Edited by B40RT

The rear one is going to be the annoyingly costly one unless you got a tame machinist. We are rarely tame hahaha.

It's also the hub which takes the most load of course with the sprocket driving it. I guess it all depends of how much meat there is as you don't want to machine the drum too thin either. Pressed on might not be enough.

I have a similar problem with a Grimeca alloy hub on an Ossa gripper, the sprocket bolts have ripped through their bosses. Probably caused by loose bolts or it could be a known issue.

Wayne....

The rear one is going to be the annoyingly costly one unless you got a tame machinist. We are rarely tame hahaha.

It's also the hub which takes the most load of course with the sprocket driving it. I guess it all depends of how much meat there is as you don't want to machine the drum too thin either. Pressed on might not be enough.

I have a similar problem with a Grimeca alloy hub on an Ossa gripper, the sprocket bolts have ripped through their bosses. Probably caused by loose bolts or it could be a known issue.

Wayne....

Just swapped a Grimeca rear hub on my Aprilia, bosses are undamaged, unfortunately the iron insert is worn out. You can only pack the shoes out so many times. I always locktite the bolts as they are were prone to coming lose.

Ross