Gearbox Oil

revit!

The Sherco takes 500cc Total - so if you are just changing the oil - it takes a while to do this with the bike leaned to one side, and you rarely get all the old oil out - therefore as Alan says - do as we do - re-fill with 450cc of GOOD MOTORCYCLE OIL (NON -SYNTHETIC) - we recommend 5w30. Opti 4.

( This is only available in Canada and the USA)

A ketchup type bottle with a pointed tip, and marked with a line at the 450cc mark, makes the oil changes on the bikes go really fast.

It takes some hunting to find the right one, and we might go ahead and produce a couple with the correct increments laser engraved on if there is any interest.

Going back to the '01 bike I seem to remember a frame sticker recomending Valvoline synthetic 5-30 or something like that.

The point is that probably any good quality 5-30 or 10-30 motor oil will work fine, synthetic or not, just change it regularly.

The ATF will have different frictional properties on the clutch, probably quicker engagement, but the lubrication properties are probably ok. There has been some discussion about ATF deteorating the clutch plates, but I cannot confirm this.

Whats in your wallet?

:D

A ketchup type bottle with a pointed tip, and marked with a line at the 450cc mark, makes the oil changes on the bikes go really fast.

It takes some hunting to find the right one, and we might go ahead and produce a couple with the correct increments laser engraved on if there is any interest.

I once bought some pretty expensive Honda trans oil that not only worked well, but came in a very cool graduated bottle with a pointy tip that I've been using for years

Revitt - AS I mentioned, Stay away from regular motor oil if you don't want to chance clutch slip problems, The new generation of Motor Oils are made to comply with emmission controls, and are not suitable for Motorcycles.

Both Honda and Kawasaki put out bullitins to their dealers a few years ago advising of this. - Stick to a good quality Motorcycle oil and don't think that you have to use Synthetics. When mixed with Petroleum Based Oils - ( you never get all the old oil out) some Synthetics have been known to "Gell", and while this is not a complete disaster in the tranny, It certainly can be if you take the same approach to your mix oils, many two-cycle engines have been seized due to the fuel filters becoming plugged with this so called "Gell".