Ajs/matchless

eiger

Just purchased yet another project off Ebay. It was described as an AJS/Matchless 350cc in trials trim for restoration. I my enthusiasm I can't wait for the reply from the owners club as I have applied for membership.

So do any of you people have any information on the history of the bike and the availability of parts. There is no tank or seat, and no obvious sign of model number. The engine number starts with 14 CSR, the frame number is a five figure number starting with 13. There is also another number (casting number?) on the rear of the gearbox which is M1071.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eiger.

The CSR was classed as a 'super sports' roadster by AMC. As John says the C stood for competition in AMC parlance, S stood for sprung or sports in this case and R stood for Roadster. A popular desctription was Coffee Shop Racer due to the styling.

There was a scrambles version the 14CS which ran from 1959 to 1962 - it may be this bike has a 14CS Scrambles frame which has been fitted with CSR cases/engine sometime in its life?

I aint an expert by any means - I just happen to have good book sitting by my PC.

I suggest that you contact the AJS and Matchless owners club or at least browse their website - their website is

http://www.jampot.com/

This might help you to find out what the bike you have is - I have just re-read your post and see this is what you are doing.

Cann you post a picture on this site?

Gordon

Thanks for the replies folks, I have just received my membership pack through the post for the AJS/Matchless owners club along with an email from the lady who deals with dating certificates. For a fiver and rubbings of the engine and frame number I can obtain the dating certificate.

As for the photo I'll have to enlist the technical help of my 14yr old son to upload it! Regards.

Eiger.

Thanks Big John, I'm sure my Dad has a copy of Don Morley's 'Classic British Trials Bikes' so I'll have a look. As for being busy over the winter months you can say that again as I'm also halfway through rebuilding an old BSA Bantam. My wife said, 'its either me or those bl**dy bikes'.

I thought about it for a minute or two but then remembered that I could gladly listen to the sound of an old thumper all night long!

And of course now she has gone there is much more room in the house for all the bikes and spares......................! :D:o:D:lol:

Regards.

Eiger.