Kick Start Not Engaging While Bike Leant To The Left

steve1979

Hi guy's,

As the title says i've noticed if you lean the bike to the left slightly more than upright the kick starter just goes down over and over again but if you hold her upright or lean her to the right the kick starter engages fine. Is this normal? I leaned her over whilst standing next to her tonight to the left and turned the kick start manually and it did catch a little.

Thanks Steve

Hi guy's,

As the title says i've noticed if you lean the bike to the left slightly more than upright the kick starter just goes down over and over again but if you hold her upright or lean her to the right the kick starter engages fine. Is this normal? I leaned her over whilst standing next to her tonight to the left and turned the kick start manually and it did catch a little.

Thanks Steve

Steve,

You have a 2003 250 Pro as I remember, it appears that somethings not right in the kickstart system, it should not act that way.

You might want to take the sidecase off and take a look. Might be a tooth missing from the kickstart/idler gear (it usually will make noise, so this might be unlikely) but theres a U-tension spring in there that may be broken, only a guess, but worth a look.

Jon

Hi guys, thanks for the advice and thankyou postmanpat for the offer to pm you i may have to do this. I hope there's nothing wrong as i've just bought her about 2 weeks ago and with the snow i've not really had a chance to try her out. Seeing as i'm in shetland i bought her from a dealer over the phone after i saw advertised on the internet and got a courier to deliver to shetland. They assured me she needed nothing apart from a new rear mudgaurd which they supplied they told me all bikes left the shop ready to trial as they fixed any problems before they were sold.

Cheers Steve

Make sure the u tension spring what jon is talking about is located proprly in the clutch case there is a slot what it should locate in if it is not located right the spring will move round with the shaft and not pull the gear into mesh

Hi guys, yes your all right, i popped the cover off to find the spring wasn't located properly and was bent by whoever was in there last. Its slightly chewed the kickstart gear but the dealer i bought her from is kindley posting me replacement parts. As for the dragging clutch i mentioned in another post they are also sending me a master cylinder repair seal kit as i seen oil leaking out at the resivoir. so hopefully that will sort that, i have ordered new clutch slave seals and will replace them at the same time.

Thanks guys

Steve

Hi guys, yes your all right, i popped the cover off to find the spring wasn't located properly and was bent by whoever was in there last. Its slightly chewed the kickstart gear but the dealer i bought her from is kindley posting me replacement parts. As for the dragging clutch i mentioned in another post they are also sending me a master cylinder repair seal kit as i seen oil leaking out at the resivoir. so hopefully that will sort that, i have ordered new clutch slave seals and will replace them at the same time.

Thanks guys

Steve

no1 is right about the tension spring loop fitting in the pear-shaped machined hole in the sidecover. Also make sure that there is a very thin steel washer that goes on the kickstart shaft present. It usually sticks to the sidecase and then falls into the dirt.

Now would be a good time to switch to DOT-5 (Silicone) since you will have everything apart. It will not damage the rubber boot on the master cylinder, which is one of the main causes for o-ring/seal failure as it allows grit to enter the bore easily. DOT-5 also makes the clutch operate smoother. I think it's been 6 years since I switched my clutch to DOT-5 and it still works perfectly.

Be sure to "pre-bleed" the servo cylinder by filling it with fluid before sliding it on the post, add some fluid to the M/C and then, with the cover upside down, gently push the servo cylinder up and down a few times to work any air out of the servo internals. You may want to put a rag over the M/C reservoir as it may shoot up to the ceiling if you press too hard.

Jon

thanks for that Jon thats a great tip about the dot 5 i'll definatly do that. I'm being very carefull about all washers etc and have been studying the gas gas videos on you tube, there very easy to follow, perfect for me lol.

Thanks again

Steve