Tl125 Clutch Removal Problem

terry

Trying to put a new clutch in my '74 K1. Problem I am having is getting the locking nut off that holds the oil filter assembly on. I have the cover off that is held by three screws, I am talking about the nut that has four slots cut in the edges and is recessed down inside the assembly. Is there a special tool or trick used to get the nut off. I have resisted the urge to jam a screw driver up there and start pounding with a hammer, 20 years ago I would have already torn it up by now. What do I do to get it off so I can get the clutch out?

By chance I went to the oldest Honda shop in town at lunch today. Nobody there even knew how to look anything up if the computer said it wasn't offered anymore. Talked to an older man that has been there 38 years and told him my story. He opened his tool box, turned around and handed me the tool I needed to remove it. What a find.

Try looking around for a box spanner. You remember those? the metal tube type things with the ends flattened into a hex. If I recall correctly the nut was also secured by a tab washer.

Mind you isn't that filter set up on the end of the crank? Why do you need to remove to change the clutch?

The clutch is on the end of the crank. The filter, which is not really a filter but that is what the book calls it, runs off another cog. Without removing this you can't get the clutch basket out to replace it. Got it all disasembled last night. Everything looks great, just need to replace the gasket and fiber clutch disks and I should be good to go. Steel plates were all still nice and flat with no glazing. Fiber plates were almost gone. Pretty impressed after 35 years of service.

Gday, that thing is a centrifugal filter, they work pretty well on the early hondas. Give it a good clean out while you're there, most people dont... You may need to use a screwdriver or similar to get the rubbish out from around the edge. The tools for them are quite cheap, from Bikebandit.com or Denniskirk.com etc. or other sellers of aftermarket parts and tools. Get a flywheel puller at the same time.

Cheers,

Stork.