Engine Characteristics

loomesy

Hello there

Ive got a Beta TR35 260 and have had a few problems of an electrical nature, it but i think generally sorted (Fingers, toes, legs,arms and anything else crossed). The only thing is it doesnt really seem that powerful, especially at lower revs where it bogs down slightly on steep uphills, though it seems to get into its stride more once it's at higher revs. Its also quite vibey and not that high revving (tho i suppose its on par in those respects to a Fantic 200, which is the only other trials bike I have experience of)...

...so I was wondering if anyone else has any experience of these TR's and could tell me if mines typical...or still broken

Cheers

Really imposssible to know over the web how your bike compares. The air cooled bikes are not as crisp as the water cooled bikes but it should run cleanly down at the bottom of the rev range. Things to check on the older bike are rings. After about three years the rings are due for a change. Because they wear so gradually a bike will seem to run fine but is actually quite a bit weaker which becomes obvious once the new ones are in. Check your ignition timing with a timing light. Retarded timing will make the bike run soft off the bottom. Carb jetting is something you can only figure out by trial and error. Sorry but jetting is a time consuming process. No way around it. Also check your exhaust is clear. Gunk can build up in the muffler and suffocate the engine as well as carbon building up in the header pipe.

Good luck and let us know what you find.