Oh No! Not Yet Another Cota 330

wayne_weedon

Starting work on the Bult 340 has made me look a little at some of the other bikes waiting in the queue.

Done some work on the Cota 330 just to work out what will be needed and would like to paint the frame in the meantime just so it does not deteriorate any further.

Does anyone have a Paint code for the Red used on the 330? RAL3020 (Traffic Red?) seems to be used a lot on Monts, but not sure if it's right. I guess I can compare the new mudguards I have stored in the attic against a colour chart.

Other thing is the two Ossa Grippers, I've never had a Parts Book for these, does anyone have one? Very willing to pay copying fee's etc.

Wayne.....

Edited by wayne_weedon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK Leg's might be in touch, Ossa's right at the tail of the queue though.

When working on the Cota 330 this last w/e I was thinking the rear shocks look damn similar to the new Rockshocks I had recently bought for my 340 Sherpa. Not identical but similar enough to send an email to John Bull of Rockshocks asking if indeed they were earlier Rockshocks.

I had always thought they were alloy bodied Falcons, but indeed they are Rockshocks.

But Total Dogs of Rockshocks! Nothing ventured nothing gained, so I stripped one down tonight to have a look see if the damaged is limited to the external corrosion. After fighting a battle with the 2 circlips that hold them all together (Crap Idea!) they were apart. Compression shims lost a petal each and the damper rods are stuffed (Rust). Bores are good, so with new rods, piston ring and shims we should be good to go again. Springs may need changing but we'll try them anyway.

Wayne....

post-8124-1236809700.jpg

post-8124-1236809728.jpg

It's been a long time since I bought it, but I seem to recall the bike had been stored either in a greenhouse or a sectional concrete garage. Neither good options.

They actually clean up very easily on the alloy, polished with a bit of scotchbrite soaked in Phosphoric acid and the white stuff is gone.

Internally the finish is immaculate apart from the broken shims.

Replacement Rods,Bushes, Pistons and shims should be with me within a couple of days. Just got to redesign the cylinder closure method as the circlips are totally infuriating! There is room to screwcut the bore and made a system like the new Rockshocks.

I'd like to find the original owner who I believe was Charlie Harris.

Wayne....

Edited by wayne_weedon

I think that is quite impressive if you can bring those old shocks up to working order. I would never think it! Hopefully the shafts are ok?

Where do you find phosphoric acid in a usable state for ali? And or what dilution? What results do you get?

Rods are being replaced with new. I am waiting for the spares from Rockshocks which are actually for the current versions.

I use a premixed marine grade product called Deb Rustoff which is not just Phosphoric but has some other additives and is safe to dispose of. It's only available in 5 gallon drums. Although the name suggests for Ferrous metals, Phosphoric works just as well on Aluminium Oxide.

Pic attached is the result of about 1 minute with the scotchbrite and acid with the shock body chucked in the lathe and spun at 300 rpm or so.

Wayne....

post-8124-1236972693.jpg

Edited by wayne_weedon

• 2 weeks later...

New parts for the Rockshocks arrived earlier in the week, and when I have a bit of time to do some re machining on the bodies I can build them back up again.

Spent more time on the 340 Bultaco this week, but today I did get a chance to do some evaluation work on the 250 Gripper which was a gift? from Jeff Bungay many years ago. I say "gift?" as it probably needs more work than any bike I have!

It was still exactly as it was "dragged" down into the stores many years ago and put to one side. No rear shocks, no tyre on the rear rim, slightly bent rusty forks (Betor) and the head partially on. Can you picture it? haha....

So onto the stand to make it at least manageable. Rear end off 1st as it was awkward with it flopping around like it was! Then engine out.

Head was only partially on its studs, and yet refused to budge! well about 1/2 hour of penetrating oil, heat and gently persuading it with a soft faced mallet it was off. One stud was causing most of the grief with the hole furred up in the head. 1st observation was the head had cracked by the top steady mount at one stage and had been quite well welded up. This crack extended right into the combustion chamber. Also some typical evidence of particle damage to the combustion chamber, past blow ups maybe.

No PISTON! Hmmm.. Crank siezed solid too... Oh dear!

Barrel didn't want to budge, so straight out with the stud extractor and just remove them. Quite easy. Then the barrel came off.

Eventually managed to free off the big end and mains to a certain extent with oil and tapping it backwards and forwards. No chance of reusing that although the flyheels will probably be ok.

Then found a carrier bag which obviously came with the bike, which contained the piston, silencers and a few other small items.

At least the gearbox feels ok, nice and smooth and selects all gears, and its even got a kickstart! Might make a few of those.

Probably savable. but marginal! At least there's still some orange paint on it!

Come to think of it, it was probably meant to be one of Jeffs breakers that he used to keep on the front lawn!!

Wayne.....

Sunday the day of rest? Well had to break the 250 Gripper down a bit more. Front end today.

1st slight challenge was there was the end of a 5mm allen key broken off in one the the yoke pinch bolts. Took the other screw out and just hacksawed through the screw in the slot. Head then just dropped out.

Thought I'd have to drill the rest of the screw out so once the yoke was off I set it up in the milling machine but as soon as the drill touched the back of the screw it wound it out.

Headstock bearing outers came out of the frame fairly easily. and used my usual method to remove the bottom inner from the stem by heating the bottom yoke a bit and just pressing the stem out.

Forks will need re chroming and one is slightly bent. Also one seems to have a problem as the leg can be pulled way way out of the slider! I expect a circlip has popped at the bottom of the leg or even missing. They can wait a bit.

Any recommendations for decent fork refinishers? I now have a reasonable batch to get done!

Wayne....

• 7 months later...

Back onto the Cota 330 Project while I can. Not content with stripping the Bultaco 340 motor I thought I'd better start taking a look see at the Cota to see what damage time has done. This motor has not run since about 1995, and even then I think I ran it for 5 minutes and put the bike in storage.

The frame has recently been grit blasted and is awaiting the attention of a blowlamp etc to straighten a couple things out.

As for the engine. So far only slight "nasty" is some condensation caused corrosion on the primary flywheel. Hoping thats as bad as it gets.

Wayne...

primary%208th%20nov%202009%201_s.jpg

Edited by wayne_weedon

Thanks for posting a bit of an update Wayne. My progress has been of similar pace to your with almost as many 'projects' on the go plus everything else that life throws at us!!

I took a heap of pics as I stripped my 330 Engine - If you need any to compare or are not sure of anything just ask. Are you going to rebore?

I still need an oversized piston so if you fancy popping over to Bellavista could you bring me one back!!

I must put some updates on my thread. The next thing will be to try a new OKO carb I think.

Steve

Well I just had to have a look. I've been pre-occupied with other work/issues but all the time concerned about what may lay in wait in these two engines in particular. So bit the bullet and started to take a look. Will have to manufacture a puller to get that flywheel off, it's sure to be tight !

There was absolutely no point in even trying to run this one or the 340 Bultaco. The 330 always needed a complete strip as the previous owner had damaged the taper for the final drive sprocket with an angle grinder! Thats the reason I only ever ran the motor for a few minutes after I pieced the thing together initially. The damage I can however repair.

I should not have to rebore, but there is probably a need for these pistons other than the 330 as the 349's use the same part. I sort of regret selling one last year.

Wayne....