Oh No! Not Yet Another Cota 330

wayne_weedon

Made up an adapter to use a Hydraulic 10 ton puller to extract the primary flywheel.

Worked a treat and no heating required. I think is was less than 10 seconds after fitting that the flywheel popped off. But with a fair crack!

Got to love those hydraulic pullers!

Wayne....

cota_330_puller1.jpg

cota_330_puller2.jpg

Edited by wayne_weedon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is the main reason the bike was just put away all those years ago without being tried and the reason the engine HAS to be rebuilt.

cota_330_damaged_taper.jpg

As you can see the previous owner attacked the final drive sprocket with an angle grinder, but kind of went a bit too far! I seem to recall there was some Devcon stuck to it which of course just fell off when prodded.

I'll probably gently build up the shaft with weld and regrind the taper.

Although the part number is very similar to the 348/9 It's not the same part I'm sure. 330 has a different kickstart mechanism with an idler mounted on the end of the problem shaft. So the shaft is longer than the 348/9.

Wayne....

Edited by wayne_weedon

Ouch, now that shaft is nasty. Looks like they used a Stihl saw !!

Haha but at least there was the new talon sprocket they intended to fit in the box of parts. No consolation of course as the damage had been done.

Looking like I'll have to repair that shaft or make a new one. Not likely to find an original part now.

Wayne....

I suppose the risk with weld is that it might pull the shaft. You've nothing to lose by trying though.

If it does bend perhaps weld all round and re-grind the taper.

Steve

Almost certainly will to a certain extent, especially as it will take a fair bit of current to get some penetration. I'm sure it can be dealt with though. A weld 180 deg from the repair would probably help. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

At a real push a 349 shaft might be able to be used with an extension grafted on somehow. Looks like the extra part is the part of the 330 shaft that protrudes into the primary cavity and onto which the kickstart gear idles. The 349 shaft does not go through into that cavity.

Wayne...

Sunday the day of rest? Well had to break the 250 Gripper down a bit more. Front end today.

1st slight challenge was there was the end of a 5mm allen key broken off in one the the yoke pinch bolts. Took the other screw out and just hacksawed through the screw in the slot. Head then just dropped out.

Thought I'd have to drill the rest of the screw out so once the yoke was off I set it up in the milling machine but as soon as the drill touched the back of the screw it wound it out.

Headstock bearing outers came out of the frame fairly easily. and used my usual method to remove the bottom inner from the stem by heating the bottom yoke a bit and just pressing the stem out.

Forks will need re chroming and one is slightly bent. Also one seems to have a problem as the leg can be pulled way way out of the slider! I expect a circlip has popped at the bottom of the leg or even missing. They can wait a bit.

Any recommendations for decent fork refinishers? I now have a reasonable batch to get done!

Wayne....

Wayne, for fork rechroming try Dynasurf in Cheshire. Their main line of work is resurfacing piston rams on JCB's/Cats etc but they seem to do stanchions as a bit of a sideline, I had some Marzocchis done a couple of years back and it was about