Need Help About Wirring A Universal Voltage Regulator

smithy87

hi , i recently bought arun down dt 175 feild bike , i have been rebuilding it very slowly and now got it running and am on the electrical side now, when i purchased the bike there was no wirring loom lights ect it was a true rough feild bike , i have put a rough wirring llom on that came with the bike , but its putting out a very high volts, so i have purchased a universal 12 volt regultor for a trials bike , but it only has 2 wires so just want to check if any one nows ho to conect it corectly, i wont be using a battery just this

Hi

As you may have worked out its one wire in from your gen and one out to power your cooling fan etc,you supplier should be able to tell you the correct wires. is it a combined reg/rec ? if not you will have AC and have to put it through a rectifier.

Chris

If that bike is like the one I had, ignition and lights are run on AC. The factory regulator was missing when I got the bike. The aftermarket regulator I bought simply stops the voltage from going too high. One wire goes into the lighting circuit or to the battery connection if it is still there. The other goes to ground. There should be a direction or orientation so it will only work when the wires are hooked up correctly. (I don't know if there will be damage if it is hooked up the backwards.) Once the votlage gets up to about 14 VAC, it will bleed off to ground and the device will get warm. The regulator will keep the lights from burning out so fast.