Montesa Cota 315r 98 Clutch Drag

evil_weasel

I only use the ELF oil as recommended by Montesa ... works very well. Is more expensive but I change it ever 30 hours (longer than recommended) and haven't had any issues. It comes out as clear as it goes in.

Edited by stkman

Elf oil is great but pricey and hard to come by, PJ1 Ultralight is a good substitute.

If you still have problems with these oils consider replacing clutch plates. I found swapping the metal ones for the Apico ones had a good effect but it does still drag if I use an oil it doesn't like - so far Castrol MTX and Rock oil are no no's.

If you have a search in this forum there is a lot of info on this issue which could help.

Thanks people

yeah been told to use the Elf oil as recomended by montesa but as people say

just seems so hard to source it, anyone recomend anywhere to get it from?

last time i tried my local montesa dealer ( Sandifords) they didnt seem to stock it which was strange

EW

I just did a change and used bel-ray as recomended by Gordon Farley. It seemed great at the start of the trial. After 5 hours of riding i'm sure i detected a tiny rattle and it was a bit stiff shifting (with my hand - can notice through my bloody great size 11's) I dont know if that was the oil or something i had just not noticed before

thanks people

got a few things too look into, will have a go and let you know how it turns out

starting a little project to clean my montesa up abit,

needs some new plastic, reckon its about due a new piston ring set to

even thought about getting new clutch plates see if that gets rid of the drag

anyone got good reviews of places to pick up all that sort of stuff?

or even places that may do the engine work? would be a back garden job for me

no real access to my shed at the moment

thanks

EW

I got my steel clutch plates from BVM as well but mostly anything you need Sandifords will sort you out. I got clutch friction plates from Haven trialsport and FeetUp trialsport usually have an exchange Barrel, Piston, rings etc in stock in you fancy going the whole hog and doing the full top end.

Changing the plates and the top end can be done with the engine in the bike. If you're fully prepared and careful you could have it all done in a day no bother. Even if you get stuck, with the engine in the bike you can still put it away while you wait for bits/advice. Just make sure you cover any openings to the engine with a clean rag or something. And make sure you get a manual for it, torque settings when putting it back together are very important.

• 2 weeks later...