08 4rt Servicing Questions

milfy

just bought a 4rt secondhand as not done much work so how often do you guys services you 4RTs i.e engine and gearbox oils every six as per book or more?

what is piston ring wear on them like it says to change them after 6 mths is this the case or do the last longer ?

anyone rebuild one on engine failure ?

and is there anything to keep a eye on in general?

just bought a 4rt secondhand as not done much work so how often do you guys services you 4RTs i.e engine and gearbox oils every six as per book or more?

what is piston ring wear on them like it says to change them after 6 mths is this the case or do the last longer ?

anyone rebuild one on engine failure ?

and is there anything to keep a eye on in general?

there are two 05's over here that have been in regular use, estimate around 400 hours running. One had head and barrel removed for checking at the end of last season and was declared a waste of time by the mechanic as all was in spec and it was rebuilt with only new rings. The other hasn't been touched other than compression check. So our experience is that piston replacement at 6mths is completely unnecessary in normal circumstances.

Engine oil and filter change we all do around six trials + practice and regular airfilter clean and change out if the foam is deteriorating. Using the elf oil I have let the transmission go to change twice a year.

Do check valve clearance after first 5 or 6 trials, I only then do an annual check and so far have found they haven't needed adjustment after the first time.

Our experience has been that the motor is amongst the most bullet proof in the trials world.

Good luck

My 06 was well riden in 07 and begining of 08 , Agree with OZ ,no probs

I do clutch oil 6 to 8 trials .engine oil every10 with filter every 20

I use putoline oil (have since new) Quater the price of the elf stuff ..

Do change your plug every 6 months or so ,seems to start effortlessly when new.

After market air filters with built in fire screen work best in mine and i use no toil water wash filter oil ..

One other thing ,dont know how you ride ,but fitting the twin map ignition did wonders to mine

It was a bit hard finding grip when i first started riding it but after fitting the twin map it was fantastic.

I had mine set mild and wild.

One other thing ,dont know how you ride ,but fitting the twin map ignition did wonders to mine

It was a bit hard finding grip when i first started riding it but after fitting the twin map it was fantastic.

I had mine set mild and wild.

already fitted with twin map :closedeyes:

Edited by milfy