Renthal Fatbar

beta_uk

You would need to machine out the top tripple clamp and saddles to accept the Fat Bars and there would be no going back. Ensure there is sufficent clearance between the bolts but I think that should be OK.

I just fitted a set of ProTapers to my '04 Rev3, and it is a piece of cake. I have a phobia about handlebar breakage and wanted to go with the strongest available, but I was afraid mounting the large diameter bars would require a new upper triple clamp. Then I found the universal mounting clamp kits that ProTaper (and others) sells. It is a really simple idea. The clamp consists of an upper and lower piece. It is wider than the stock upper handlebar clamp. One half of the lower piece bolts to the original handlebar mount with recessed screws. Then the upper piece bolts to that with the normal 2 screws. The result is about 3/4 of an inch (19mm) higher than stock. What you want to buy is the factory Suzuki bend. This bar mounted in the universal mounting kit will be within a fer mm of the stock geometry. When you are looking for bars, check out the ProTaper website and look at the results of (supposedly independent) fatigue tests of various brands. They also have pics of the clamp kits that will make more sense than my description. The whole thing cost me $120.00 US for bars and clamp kit.

BTW, I originally thought the Renthal twinwall bars would be an even stronger approach, but I have seen reports of them breaking. I am not too concerned with bars breaking in a crash. I am scared of having one unexpectedly snap off while riding a drop off, a splatter(happened to me), or at some other moment where the resulting gash wound from the jagged end of the break could leave me bleeding to death in the woods.

I have the tapered bars that were originally supplied with the '98 Beta Technos - as Ron says they come with both an upper and lower clamp, and will fit straight on with no machining. These bars have about 1" lower rise than the normal Tomaselli handlebars supplied with the '04 Rev3, so once they are installed with both the upper and lower clamps they work out to be about the right height. These handlebars have been on my '00 Rev3 for the last year or so and will be moved to the '04 Rev3 that I have just purchased. I can vouch for their durability, and have crash tested them relentlessly.

I do go over the handlebars quite a bit, so with not having a cross brace, I get a greater freedom of movement on my way over. This opens up much greater marks for artistic expression. (I think that some of the observers at one particular event late last year are probably still laughing at one of my better efforts - pure poetry in motion!)