Yet More Fan Problems

shercoman2k8

Just got the new bike, 08 paxau sherco 125 with a load of 09 stuff on there... I took it for a ride, LOADS of power, it was ripping my arms out, 20 mins and the fan was still not on but the bike was steaming like mad, then it went all dull as if the bike was being starved of either air or fuel, killed it, waited for it to cool, took a good 10 mins during which time it wouldnt start.

Once cool it started first kick and all the power was back. Took it for another ride till it was spitting coolant and steaming, still no fan!

Whats it sound like? thermostat gone?

Will check all the cables and wires tommorow, check my three(which I found odd that there in three different places) grounding points to check there tight... then should i bypass the thermo, see if that works?

If that doesnt is it a new fan job?

Stop running the thing till it totally overheats or you may well damage it, dummy! :thumbup:

If it is indeed the ground wire that you suspect, you should then be able to arc accross the thermo switch and the fan should run, this can be done by just starting the bike with the tank off, as they will idle and run the fan fine at idle.

I did stop...or else I wouldnt of been online to post that but rather, out on the bike till all hours!

Ive already bypassed the thermo, started it and nothing happened, will run the fan of a 12v battery later to check that its not the fan motor!

I found the problem, the fan had ben conncted to the remaining cable for the lights after removal...

I can smell a really strong smell of coolant/antifreeze though, where should I check?

Moisture and smoke/steam coming from exhaust... head gasket?

Edited by shercoman2k8

I found the problem, the fan had ben conncted to the remaining cable for the lights after removal...

I can smell a really strong smell of coolant/antifreeze though, where should I check?

Moisture and smoke/steam coming from exhaust... head gasket?

Try rinsing with fresh water to remove all that spewed out the radiator! An be sure to replenish the lost coolant, about halfway between the coil tubes and the top of the tank so there is some expansion room, that should do.

More concerned about siezing or otherwise damaging the piston/cyl than the gaskets. :thumbup: