Just Fixed One And Then What Happens.....

neo

I just wish you would quit dinking around ang get this thing fixed so you can try the other carby! :huh:

Patience my friend patience :( ....Rome was not built in a day an neither was an OKO :)

Thanks for the info Clav...makes lots on sense now. ...I will try and perform the transplant once I have the reed screws.

Rode again today...fine tuned the mix a few times but apart from that all seems good.

I have noticed change in the engine as it sounds crisper and the power is dependable and the exhaust is smoke free at all times. But it seems that the engine is running 5 degrees hotter that before. Used to be around 58C now it's around 62C...is this normal?

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gday, none other than Phil Irving (the bloke who built the Vincent and a heap of other engines including the Seagull outboard) had a theory that the carbon in a combustion chamber would reflect some of the heat "back inside" so that may be why your engine temp is slightly higher Neo. All that aside, I would not worry as ambient temp could make that difference. Interesting to note how the bike runs now - good stuff.

Cheers,

Stork

58c, 62c, you guys are loosing it! It's a friggin trials bike, not the Space Shuttle man! Throw it at some friggin rocks and see how much heat it makes! :huh:

Btw Neo, did you come up with an estimatation on total time on this motor?

What about Clav and his ring rear issue, time specs?

Later,

MC

It's a friggin trials bike, not the Space Shuttle man!

TOTALLY disagree.....it's because it a Trials bike, ridden with more precision than any other motorbike, that it need to be perfect (engineering wise) :)

Don't know (don't care) how many man hours but when I think about riding (and how much I have learnt) it's been worth every second. :huh:

Best of balance.

Neo

Nearly impossible to tell how many hours cope.

Every weekend from 12.30 pm until somewhere between 7 and 9 at night (good fun riding when all the critters come out), with two other riders, sometimes 2up or 3up in the section, so there's no waiting. A few sundays as well. Two or three 20 min practise sessions through the week, just to keep the knees creaking.

If you can figure it out good luck!

I know it is difficult to estimate, and I am thinking the ring time is actually less a factor in this case, and contrary to clav's claims that a freshen may change the carby's reaction.

If nothing else in this thread, seems we have established that Neo's bike was sucking off the bottom, and the Kiehins are still oversensitive, not that I would totally rule out an OKO of the proper size.

As the K carbs are only in the 28mm versions, put that on a 2.9 and it is still too much accross the band for me, don't need it, or want it!

I did OK for a while with the K on the 250, still had some issues! Been sitting here since!

My motto is still that the Dellorto is the best $15 carb money can buy! :huh:

Nearly impossible to tell how many hours cope.

Every weekend from 12.30 pm until somewhere between 7 and 9 at night (good fun riding when all the critters come out), with two other riders, sometimes 2up or 3up in the section, so there's no waiting. A few sundays as well. Two or three 20 min practise sessions through the week, just to keep the knees creaking.

If you can figure it out good luck!

Can we convert this into US Gallons of fuel? :rotfl: Or Barrels?

OK.....final conclusion is it much much better....but not perfect. :D

On a hot day after some prolonged riding she's just beginning to hunt on idle. It's very lightly but not enough to effect my riding at all......So it's not a perfect result but it is a vast improvement. :D

I'm continuing to hunt for the Hunting (see my new post) but I think this thread has now fully lived it's purpose.

I want to thank clav, cope, HAM, Jon, PeterB, Ralphy, Stork, tony and trialsnutterman for your dedication and efforts in resolving this problem.

Best of balance to all that read and contributed to this thread. :rotfl:

Neo

With 10 pages of research since April it would be a great help to others to list the items that you changed that fixed the problem.

Maybe even remind us how it all started out - a problem adjusting the mixture on a Keihin PWK28 fitted to a 250?

Thanks for keeping us posted with your progress.

Here's hoping your perseverance finally paid off.

:rotfl:

Ok the faulty components I changed were the main bearing seals (both of them) and the piston rings (which contributed to the problem).

The symptoms were engine Hunting (running lean) at idle then running rich on the slightest clockwise adjustment of the air-mix screw. The problem was intermittent and in the early stages would only show with the combination of a low fuel tank level (below half) and a long ride on a hot day. Gearbox oil was lost (burnt away) at a very slow rate (100ml per 6 months). The seal on the generator side wears faster than the oil side but there was no sign of this until the seal is removed.

What I