2007 300 Pro Fork Oil?

sam

We have picked up a 2007 300 PRO, Would like to know how many CC's of oil go in each fork leg?

Thanks.

sam

Sam,

The Marzocchi's have a different cartridge setup than the GasGas forks and need to be set by oil level, not volume. See:

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/ALU...NSIONS%2006.doc for the info.

The Zoke cartridges do not drain in the same manner as the GG ones, so level is appropriate as a service technique.

Jon

• 3 months later...

Strange that in this doc file they only speaks of an airspace of 160mm, while in the manual of the TXT Pro '07 it says 180mm for 300/280/250 and 160mm for 125/200.

Also point 3 in this doc file says: 'With the suspension compressed to its maximum and verifying that there is no air remaining in the system, fill the suspension with oil,

leaving an empty space of 160 mm +/- 2 mm.

So do I need to compress the fork before measuring this airspace? How to do this? It looks complicated to push in the fork completely and then do the measuring and filling....

And what is the correct airspace then?

Strange that in this doc file they only speaks of an airspace of 160mm, while in the manual of the TXT Pro '07 it says 180mm for 300/280/250 and 160mm for 125/200.

Also point 3 in this doc file says: 'With the suspension compressed to its maximum and verifying that there is no air remaining in the system, fill the suspension with oil,

leaving an empty space of 160 mm +/- 2 mm.

So do I need to compress the fork before measuring this airspace? How to do this? It looks complicated to push in the fork completely and then do the measuring and filling....

And what is the correct airspace then?

I think you may be confusing "airspace" with "oil level" and although they may look the same, they are somewhat different measurements and related.

"Airspace" is the space created at the top inside of the fork tube based on the level of the oil in the fork, completely assembled, at full extension.

"Oil level" is the level of the fork oil from the top of the tube, spring removed, all air bled out of the cartridge and the fork tube completely collapsed into the lower leg. Oil level is how you determine the airspace in the assembled fork. How much volume the spring takes up when added to the fork internals will also have an effect on the amount of airspace in the assembled fork.

As far as I know, the aluminum Marzocchi forks are set at an oil level of 160mm and the steel tube Marzocchi's are set at 180mm.

Jon

thanks for the quick respons Jon, I have to admit I never done the fork before.

On my Raga 300 2007 I suppose the black fork legs are aluminium? So I need to check for 160mm airspace from the oil level to the top of the leg.

I still dont fully understand at what moment that I need to do the measuring? This cartridge thing is floating around in right forkleg, what is the purpose of it?

So far I think what I need to do is: remove the 2 caps, remove the drain bolts a the bottom to release the old oil, remove the spring (only in the left fork leg?), then compress the fork fully down (I think this will goes easy w/o the sealing caps and spring), close teh drainholes, then fill with new oil andmeasure the remaining airspace from the oillevel to the top of the fork leg until it is 160mm, is that the right procedure?

The manual says use SAE10 but in the doc file it says SAE7.5? Has is something to do with the riders wheight?

Also in the top forkcaps there are 2 adjusting screws at each cap. What exactly are these doing and how to adjust them? The cap on the left side is for adjusting Compression the right cap for Rebound, but how does this work? One screw has marked +/- but the second nothing, what does the second screw do then on each cap?