3.2 Float Adjustment

sherpa

Just got my 3.2 and rode it in its 1st trials. The bike ran great! But being a mechanic, I just can't ever leave well enough alone.

I thought I would like to verify the float level and make sure everything is clean and correct. Only problem is I have never had a 3.2 carb apart, and it is not real obvious where to check the float level. I have read the posts about the 20 mm height, but where do I check it from? Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Just got my 3.2 and rode it in its 1st trials. The bike ran great! But being a mechanic, I just can't ever leave well enough alone.

I thought I would like to verify the float level and make sure everything is clean and correct. Only problem is I have never had a 3.2 carb apart, and it is not real obvious where to check the float level. I have read the posts about the 20 mm height, but where do I check it from? Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Was it 20 or 19.5? Cannot recall now. I guess yours is later model with the Kiehin? You gotta hold it at about a 45 degree angle to determine when the seat actually hits the needle(without weight of floats) and measure from bowl surface to float arm. They should basically be parallel! :blink:

Was it 20 or 19.5? Cannot recall now. I guess yours is later model with the Kiehin? You gotta hold it at about a 45 degree angle to determine when the seat actually hits the needle(without weight of floats) and measure from bowl surface to float arm. They should basically be parallel! :moon:

Cope, I measure from the bowl surface to the float, not to the float arm, mine is currently set at around 20mm.

Wayne

Cope, I measure from the bowl surface to the float, not to the float arm, mine is currently set at around 20mm.

Wayne

There you go then!

(giving poor, cheap, free advise is difficult when you don't have one to look at and your memory is shorter than your ''''''''''')! :moon:

wayne:

Which part of the float? I took my measurement from where the arm meets the the float. I got slightly less than 20mm and adjusted to 20mm from there.

can anyone explain the function of the SPS. I hoped I could see something when I took the carb apart but aside from the check valve in the main, I did not note anything special. did not want to remove the special screws inside the carb for fear of damage.

wayne:

Which part of the float? I took my measurement from where the arm meets the the float. I got slightly less than 20mm and adjusted to 20mm from there.

can anyone explain the function of the SPS. I hoped I could see something when I took the carb apart but aside from the check valve in the main, I did not note anything special. did not want to remove the special screws inside the carb for fear of damage.

wayne:

My feeble mind being what it is, if you found something in there that was near 20mm, then it is correct. If it was at 19.5 to begin with! So dont screw with it anymore ! Point being, that .5mm makes no real difference when that fuel is sloshing about in there!

My take on the SPS system is bacically that it helps prevent large changes in the flow with large changes in the manifold pressure, which create a disturbance(and momentary lean condition). In theory, this arrangement is more natural and progressive than an accelerator pump.

Seems to work, what can I say.

If you look back through the posts, you should find a proper illustration on the layout, which you should copy to insure you are comfortable with the disassembly and cleaning procedures and reassembly.

Cheers, :moon: