Stiffer Springs For '99 Gg321

rev. victor

I'm looking for stiffer springs for my '99 GG 321. I am a very large rider, 330 lbs 6'8" tall (23 stone and 2+ meters tall). The heavy duty springs for riders in the states are no longer available. I found a shop that can custom make springs for me but am unsure what rates to use. I believe the stock rate was .42 kg for the front springs and 7.2 kg for the rear spring. Please correct me if this is inaccurate. Conventional wisdom says I should go for a 20% increase in the spring rates. That would put me at .50 kg for the fronts and 8.6 kg for the rear. I would love some input if I'm on the right track. Any larger riders or wise wrenches have any experience with stiffer springs? Thanks for any help. By the way, I do bill myself as the World's Largest Trials Rider.

I'm looking for stiffer springs for my '99 GG 321. I am a very large rider, 330 lbs 6'8" tall (23 stone and 2+ meters tall). The heavy duty springs for riders in the states are no longer available. I found a shop that can custom make springs for me but am unsure what rates to use. I believe the stock rate was .42 kg for the front springs and 7.2 kg for the rear spring. Please correct me if this is inaccurate. Conventional wisdom says I should go for a 20% increase in the spring rates. That would put me at .50 kg for the fronts and 8.6 kg for the rear. I would love some input if I'm on the right track. Any larger riders or wise wrenches have any experience with stiffer springs? Thanks for any help. By the way, I do bill myself as the World's Largest Trials Rider.

Hi, Victor!

I got your e-mail, but thought it might be good to explore the topic on this forum.

Sometimes, fork springs can be cut down to increase the rate and this, coupled with a higher oil level will help. You, of course, need to be careful of coil-bind if the spring is shortened too much.

As you seem to be well over the acceptable limit for the stock rated spring's adjustment range, it might be a good idea to have special springs made. I would think that fork springs in the neighborhood of 0.50/0.52 Kg, and shock spring in the range of 9.0/9.2 Kg would be minimum. Look on the bright side, at 6"8", you have a LOT more leg "suspension" range than the rest of us.....:moon:

Jon

And, yes, only the first bottle IS expensive....:wall:

Hi Victor

Iam about the same weight as you but only 6ft 1". I ride a standard spring setup on a Scorpa 4 stroke with very little issue,stiffer spring will be better though. However I would like to know the name of the shop who will make you the custom springs if you don't mind

Sean

Jon thanks for the tips. My biggest concern was to not over whelm the rebound with too stiff springs. For those interested I was referred to Brad Lowe Racing in Michigan, US. (888-766-0619). I have no personal experience with them but was referred to them by a Trials dealer.

Edited by Rev. Victor