Scorpa Fly Wheel

houseape1000

Hello again, after removal of the flywheel cover from my 96 scorpa easy I was greeted by a flywheel with ''hammer rash''.

I was thinking of geting it turned down slightly to remove the dents, can this be done, will there be any negative side effects from the reduction in diameter..

Also, I was wondering, if I am getting it turned down, would there be any advantage in having the new outside diameter threaded ( very fine ) in such a way that any crap that gets in there would be forced to the cover end.....How would this affect centrifugal forces?.

Just a thought...

Andy.

Putting a thread on the OD of the flywheel is certainly a novel concept, but would not have the effect you desire. It would increase the aerodynamic drag of the flywheel which would reduce the power output of the motor, and would increase the amount of agitation of any solid material that is trapped inside.

Reducing the mass of the flywheel will reduce the gyroscopic forces generated by the flywheel when the bike is turned or leaned over. The reduction in flywheel inertia will be much more noticable to the rider.