Scotiish Old Newbie

bowershall

Hi all

Just purchased a gas gas 280 to learn and play with. Based in Fife, Scotland. 47 years old and need to get fit!

Looking for advise on all the basics;

What oil/ratio? Tyre pressures, suspension setup etc.

Also do not have a clue on kit, where and what to buy. I have experience of various road bikes, but no off road experience.

In at the deep end!

Welcome to the wonderful world of trials bowershall,

you'll find out all you need to know by searching the threads but here's some basics to get you going.......

280 gasser is great but is a bit of a handfull for learning on - suggest taming it down with a flywheel weight and a slow action throttle?

Oil ratio is 50:1 in the GG owners manual, I run mine at 60:1 (old school) but the majority run at 80:1

Tyre pressures vary depending on surface, weather etc but 4psi in the rear and 7 psi in the front will get you started.

Suspension settings depend on many factors - your weight, the condition of the suspension units (old or new) etc. Suggest setting them in the middle and tweaking up or down until you find what feels right for you?

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Have fun ;)

GJ ;)

You could join the Dunfermline & District Motorcycle Club - they have a website that will give you details of contacts, where trials are, etc. They also have training days for new starts whatever age you are! They will give you lots of good advice, too. Just enjoy it!

;)

Thanks for the help. Just what I need!

Found some useful info and tips already on the site (and you tube)

Any good links to bike carriers? preferably towball mounted.

Ecosse motorcross up at Penicuik sell bike racks - or at least they used to. Give him a phone.

http://www.ecossemx.com/

Edited by Williamd