Rev3 2002 250

stuessenhigh

Hi everyone.

I'm already on my second clutch cover gasket....AND...this might be because I'm not TOO good with the spanners, but they keep, kind of, working themselves out...and then of course the oil starts leaking out.

Pretty irritating to have a bike thats always leaking!!...and its a pain to change since you have to take the bash plate off every time.

ANyone else have this problem??...and..any advice would be greatly appreciated!...thanks :banana::banana:

Hi Stu--

Did you coat both sides of the gasket with a THIN film of silicone sealant? Also, have you checked that the bash plate hasn't deformed the cover so the mating surfaces don't match up? One more thing: if you tighten the screws too tight you can cause a bulge in the cover between the screws that will allow the gasket to slide out. Follow the torque recommendations for the screw size.

Cheers,

Richard

Stu, if its pushing out just behind and above the kickstart, that happened to quite a few riders at this years Scottish. The only way that can happen is if the gearbox is pressurising. I suspect at the SSDT the engines were getting so hot either any water in the oil was boiling, the oil itself was boiling, or the gearbox breather tube was blocked or restricted in some way. I spoke to a guy who had even removed the right angled vent connection and drilled it out a bit but the same had happened again.

Mmmm..thanks Craig. Thats interesting...does get pretty HOT here..and a few of the guys seem to have leaky Beta's. Will definately check the breather hoses.

Interestingly..my new gasket turned up yesterday, and I think this time, I will have more luck. The new gasket is a kind of papery one. THe last one I bought was a kind of rubbery one, with a little blue ridge all the way around it...and I RECKON...that the rubbery one, was too fat, and not "grippy" ehough??? :banana: