First Bike And Problems With Gray Tranny Fluid!

keta

Sorry to hear your having probs Keta, it looked a good bike, just bad luck i guess (or dodgy seller :D )

as for the stuck bolt, try heat and shocking it too. maybe even easing oil.

I hate it when you end up spending hours on a bolt or nut thats stuck when it should be a 1 min job!

Andy.

Hey Andy,

Yeah the seller knew about these problems I'm sure and likely why it was sold. However I am still happy as the job was simple enough and can happen to, and will, to any bike you get at some point. I opened her up today and the shaft and associated gear had a decent amount of play and felt loose to turn. I got all the parts today and I have put it back together. It feels a lot different when you rotate the water pump now. A little more difficult to turn and much more solid. The old shaft had several gouges too, although the actual seal didn't look so bad!

I am still needing to replace fork oil and bleed all hydraulics. I'll then spend a bit of time actually on it tomorrow! Albeit just in the garden, more than likely finding new problems!

Thanks 1oldbanjo, it does make sense yeah. But I was just sure something was up with this as the seller replaced it with an older GasGas of similiar value. And I thought any new parts won't hurt anything but the bank balance! To be honest I enjoy tinkering with it, much better than cars as they are so light!

Fork oil's easy to do, whilst at it I would do the headstock bearings, just grease them up!

See when doing maintenance its easyier, and better in the long run to do groups.. then you will have sorted your problems instead of having bits failing all throughout the year... Which not only p****s you off but seriously cuts down riding time! This is how I do mine :D

Group one;

Throttle (grease inside cover, throttle tube off, clean everything up on the bar) check cable.

Grips, new grips, I highly reccomend the dual ply domino grips, soft outside, stiff inside and come with ends too!

Fork seals & oil.

Front brake (free everything up, split the caliper, pop out pistons, clean up and replace any damaged seals, bleed brake) Possibly new pads if required, wipe rotor with brake cleaner.

Hydraulics, bleed all hydraulics on the bar, front brake and clutch.

Headstock bearings, grease or replace if required.

Grease spindle up.

Group two;

Gearbox oil although done bi-weekly...

Fill radiator.

Dismantle and clean carb, bowl off, jets out... blow through with compressed air, clean slide.. check throttle cable, adjust if required.

Clear fuel line, blow through with compressor.

Replace chain and sprokets if required, if not, grease up

Check spark plug.

Group three;

Dismantle suspension linkage and grease up/replace bearings.

Rear wheel out, new tyre... check bearings and sproket.. if sproket worn replace chain and both sprokets.

Grease up spindle.

Check for play in swingarm bearings, replace if required.

Service rear brake, same as in group one... bleed and check pedal bearing.

Reassemble...

Group four; Most of group four's covered above, and is common sense :D Done quite often...

Check spark plug.

Check tyres/tyre pressure.

Brake pads, if bikes used often.

Chain tensioner block. Reccomend using an x-blok

Adjust levers.

Grease up footpeg spring/bolt area using red or white grease.

Check all breathers are clear.

Group five, should hardly ever need done ;

Top end bearings.

Piston rings.

Repack exhaust.

Replace loose/broken spokes.

Drop engine out completely, give bike thorough clean.

Hope this makes sense, everything on there should be done too yours as and when time allows, but in those groups.. Apart from those you just have to replace damged/broken/faulty parts... as yours is apart now I'd probably do group two!

Edited by shercoman2k8

Thanks, I think I have covered most of the list by now! But I think I am done for spending on it for one month! I'll be murdered by the other half if I spend much more lol.

It almost seems like a full time job when you list it like that :D

Right I have made progress today but still the project will continue!

The water pump shaft replacement has fixed the leak into the tranny. However I then put it together and tried to fire her up for the first time since I took it! Unfortunately it wouldn't start and instead brought water from the radiator into the cylinder and finally out of the exhaust! Next job was O ring on the cylinder head! That has fixed the water leak problem entirely!

Now the bike is starting first kick, pretty easily. I have quite a bit of backfire type popping noises, every second or so. Seems to be running a little rough and a bee like shake/rattle sound for the engine. I would like to sort the rough running but don't know whether to cope with the rattle for the time being or investigate. The bike was actually advertised with the rattle so he was honest with one part at least! He thought it was the little end but I wouldn't know. Seems to ride fine now apart from vibration probably from the aggressive exhaust popping!

I'm enjoying my project though and getting there slowly!

Rings, piston bearing... High pitched rattle's are normally worn rings! Wee test to check if its top end, bottom end or something flying round your clutch/flywheel, take a large handled screwdriver and put the handle against your ear, press the driver against the cylinder, then the crankase through the front of the sump.

Then against each side casing, wherever the rattles more prominant, thats where your problem is... Quite a cheap fix for the difference it will make!

Right I have made progress today but still the project will continue!

The water pump shaft replacement has fixed the leak into the tranny. However I then put it together and tried to fire her up for the first time since I took it! Unfortunately it wouldn't start and instead brought water from the radiator into the cylinder and finally out of the exhaust! Next job was O ring on the cylinder head! That has fixed the water leak problem entirely!

Now the bike is starting first kick, pretty easily. I have quite a bit of backfire type popping noises, every second or so. Seems to be running a little rough and a bee like shake/rattle sound for the engine. I would like to sort the rough running but don't know whether to cope with the rattle for the time being or investigate. The bike was actually advertised with the rattle so he was honest with one part at least! He thought it was the little end but I wouldn't know. Seems to ride fine now apart from vibration probably from the aggressive exhaust popping!

I'm enjoying my project though and getting there slowly!

Well I suppose that answers all the water questions!. Hopefully it has not been hydrolocked and bent a con rod!

All these things do rattle a bit and have signifigant vibration when revving. A clean carby and some adjustment on the mix screw can make a world of difference, jetting is important too.

Fork oil's easy to do, whilst at it I would do the headstock bearings, just grease them up!

See when doing maintenance its easyier, and better in the long run to do groups.. then you will have sorted your problems instead of having bits failing all throughout the year... Which not only p****s you off but seriously cuts down riding time! This is how I do mine :blink:

Group one;

Throttle (grease inside cover, throttle tube off, clean everything up on the bar) check cable.

Grips, new grips, I highly reccomend the dual ply domino grips, soft outside, stiff inside and come with ends too!

Fork seals & oil.

Front brake (free everything up, split the caliper, pop out pistons, clean up and replace any damaged seals, bleed brake) Possibly new pads if required, wipe rotor with brake cleaner.

Hydraulics, bleed all hydraulics on the bar, front brake and clutch.

Headstock bearings, grease or replace if required.

Grease spindle up.

Group two;

Gearbox oil although done bi-weekly...

Fill radiator.

Dismantle and clean carb, bowl off, jets out... blow through with compressed air, clean slide.. check throttle cable, adjust if required.

Clear fuel line, blow through with compressor.

Replace chain and sprokets if required, if not, grease up

Check spark plug.

Group three;

Dismantle suspension linkage and grease up/replace bearings.

Rear wheel out, new tyre... check bearings and sproket.. if sproket worn replace chain and both sprokets.

Grease up spindle.

Check for play in swingarm bearings, replace if required.

Service rear brake, same as in group one... bleed and check pedal bearing.

Reassemble...

Group four; Most of group four's covered above, and is common sense :o Done quite often...

Check spark plug.

Check tyres/tyre pressure.

Brake pads, if bikes used often.

Chain tensioner block. Reccomend using an x-blok

Adjust levers.

Grease up footpeg spring/bolt area using red or white grease.

Check all breathers are clear.

Group five, should hardly ever need done ;

Top end bearings.

Piston rings.

Repack exhaust.

Replace loose/broken spokes.

Drop engine out completely, give bike thorough clean.

Hope this makes sense, everything on there should be done too yours as and when time allows, but in those groups.. Apart from those you just have to replace damged/broken/faulty parts... as yours is apart now I'd probably do group two!

You see, this lad is surely getting into his regular maintenance regime in an effort to keep things going well!

I am not totally sure of his (group) process, but I will shed you another light on the subject.

Group one: Fix what's broke! Pre and post ride and cleaning! All controls working perfect! Bolts tight, Runs properly!

Group two: Do your maintenance on Power components! Filters, carb , oil, chain, motor! No water in airbox after a wash!

Group three: Maintain front and rear suspension components, tires, wheels, brakes etc.

When in doubt, refer to Group One! :thumbup:

Thanks again,

I am sure the backfiring has come from the fact I have a new plug in. The old plugs gap was 0.8mm and I have changed it to 0.5mm. I will need to adjust the timing and tinker with the mixture screw.

I have since decided I may as well go the whole hog! I am going to strip the rest down too, whip the engine out and replace all bearings and such. I am interested to see how it all works/goes together and I don't have all the helmet/transport yet to ride it anyhow! I'm back to work Monday though for 4 (hour intense) weeks before my week off again!

I'll keep you posted and again thanks for always responding so fast and helping the newbie :thumbup: I'll return the favour to others before long!!

Edited by Keta