Rev 3 Headstock Bearing Removal

4ourtea

Bound to be someone out there who can answer this...

I've removed the headstock upper and lower yokes because the lower bearing was very graunchy. Top bearing easily removed as was the race in the headstock. Lower race also easily removed.. However, the bearing on the "pin" is well and truly on there -

How do you get this off ?????????

Gday, the safest way if you dont have a press is to cut the outer guide part off the bearing, then grind the race as close as you can to the stem without touching it. In most cases the bearing inner will now fall off. Worst case is a few light taps with a drift and off it comes. Most importantly is to repack the new ones correctly - it is not enough to wipe grease around the outside as most do, you need to push grease into the bearing between the rollers and the race by "wiping" the bearing into a palm full of grease. Do this until you see grease appear at the other side, then move around slightly and repeat - do this until the whole bearing is lubed all the way around. Its messy and harder to describe than to do but it will ensure long life from your new bearings. I also like to put a good glob of grease above the lower bearing to help keep water out of it as well. As for grease - I just use a good disc brake wheel bearing type. When refitting the new lower bearing find a tube or similar that fits over the stem but inside the diameter of the race so you don't hit the cage or rollers. I often use the old race as it fits but will come back off afterwards!

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork