Clutch Cover.

diligaf

I have just repaired the shift shaft locator on my 280 pro. Here's the problem, I can't get the side cover back on, there is an obstruction which isn't the return spring or the water pump.I am at a loss, any ideas??.

I have just repaired the shift shaft locator on my 280 pro. Here's the problem, I can't get the side cover back on, there is an obstruction which isn't the return spring or the water pump.I am at a loss, any ideas??.

You'll notice a tension spring with a loop that sticks out on the kickstart shaft. That loop must fit into the special machined recess hole on the sidecover. That spring loop and the crossbar on the waterpump shaft that fits in the slots on the primary gear are the two things that usually cause the case not to fit correctly. Make sure you are putting on the sidecover with the bike on it's side, otherwise the servo cylinder will often hang up in the clutch fingers. as they can flop out at the bottom of the pack and catch the "brim" of the servo cylinder top hat.

Sometimes, the clutch hub needs to be seated firmly down on the trans shaft, but that rarely happens.

Jon

Thanks for the info but all of the above is as it should be. When I finally seated the cover the kick start feels stiff on the return, is it possible that the kickstart mechanism has become displaced and causing the problem?? This doesn't make sense to me at all.

Thanks for the info but all of the above is as it should be. When I finally seated the cover the kick start feels stiff on the return, is it possible that the kickstart mechanism has become displaced and causing the problem?? This doesn't make sense to me at all.

If you had the kickstart mechanism out, perhaps re-indexing it may help, see:

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/Pro...2027%202009.doc

I'm assuming you are using an OEM clutch cover gasket and not just sealer. The clearances are tight and the

gasket acts as a spacer of sorts.

Jon