Turning In Tight Spaces

Took me ages to get it. It's about co-ordinating the loading and unloading of the rear suspension with applying front brake and a subtle push forward (not down) on the bars.

For me, I now realise I wasn't putting the front brake on FULLY during the technique.

To replicate the manouvre - try standing over the bike, press front brake fully on and push forward hard on the bars (imagine the bars travelling in an arc around the front wheel) feel the rear end lift. Now try tilting the bike either way as you do it and feel how it moves across to the side its tilted whilst the rear wheel is in the air.

Try this with a pedal bike to see the technique.

I forgot about this thread, Since i stated it i have been tryin and tryin to hop the rear end around, not getting anywhere to fast either! Still struggling to bring the back wheel up hoght enough

Maybe try "reducing" your dampening (rear shock), so the back end will spring up more. Lots of dampening would seem to make rear-hopping extremely impossible, I think. Might reduce traction, though. But would help get over big logs better, as well (I think.)

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe try "reducing" your dampening (rear shock), so the back end will spring up more. Lots of dampening would seem to make rear-hopping extremely impossible, I think. Might reduce traction, though. But would help get over big logs better, as well (I think.)

I have just started a thread about my rear shock as it feels very soft! will have a play about with settings at the weekend!