Ktm Factory Pulls Out Of Dakar.

cota kid

Enduro News

It is reported on the Enduro News website that KTM are pulling out of the Paris - Dakar, due to the new rules limiting the engine sizes to a max 450cc. Seems a very strange decision for the organisers, after all the image that springs to mind for the Dakar is Comas and Despres on the KTM 690 Rally Bikes.

I love big Paris Dakar bikes. Wouldn't be the same if they were "only" 450.

Just wait till they limit cars to 1600cc and trucks to 2500cc.

Edited by B40RT

Although you can get some high speeds out of the 450's, fourth place overall in the Open Class of the UAE Desert Challenge was won on a specially prepared 450 CRF, it will be interersting to see how the smaller capacity bikes perform in such a demanding and lengthy event.

Edited by Cota Kid

Although you can get some high speeds out of the 450's, fourth place overall in the Open Class of the UAE Desert Challenge was won on a specially prepared 450 CRF, it will be interersting to see how the smaller capacity bikes perform in such a demanding and lengthy event.

Will it be in South America again next year?

Will it be in South America again next year?

The Dakar Rally will be in South America for 2010. Be interesting to see what bike factories make a show, after all it is a long way to travel. I think we will find that KTM and the Rally Bikes will instead turn their attention to the Africa Race, an FIM sanctioned Rally, which runs December 2009 into January 2010. The race follows a very similar route to Dakar rally and ends in the capital of Senegal........which by coincidence is Dakar.

Africa Race

Edited by Cota Kid

Maybe KTM think they havn't got a bike that can win?

As an example Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman chose KTM to go round the world on; KTM then pulled out and the thinking was that they thought the bike wouldn't make hence bad press and maybe detrimental to future bike sales. For those of you that havn't seen the DVD they chose BMW 1150's did it and BMW are still selling loads of bikes of the back of this!!!

Just maybe KTM's policy is to WIN? if there is doubt then they withdraw??????????

Maybe KTM think they havn't got a bike that can win?

As an example Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman chose KTM to go round the world on; KTM then pulled out and the thinking was that they thought the bike wouldn't make hence bad press and maybe detrimental to future bike sales. For those of you that havn't seen the DVD they chose BMW 1150's did it and BMW are still selling loads of bikes of the back of this!!!

Just maybe KTM's policy is to WIN? if there is doubt then they withdraw??????????

Big mistake by KTM if the number of big BMW's going up to the Scottish is an indication of sales, looked to be about 10:1.

If you recall, in the Long Way Round, it wasn't the bike KTM thought wouldn't make it but the riders. They didn't choose BMW, with KTM pulling out they had no other option. I don't think there was any doubt from any parties that the KTM wouldn't make it.

The KTM has been weapon of choice in the Dakar for sometime, as well as dominating the World Rally Championship and UAE Desert Challenge.

Given the huge success KTM have with enduro bikes in the WEC, I would have thought that they would have been a major challenge to other factories in the Dakar, but given the way they are been treat by the organisers, ASO, I don't blame them for pulling out. Big shame for all the privateers who ride the bigger bikes as well, as their plans for 2010 will have been thrown into disarray.

At least without KTM entering the Dakar it may give BMW a chance at winning it, perhaps if Charley Boorman isn't acting in one of his Dad's films he could get a factory ride. He could even get his luvvie mate McGregor to come along, as long as he doesn't bring his wife.....

Yes they did increase BMW's sales around the globe, even the hairy bikes have them, so yes that was a success but I don't think KTM would we too bothered. 8 Dakars wins against two actors riding 'solo - lol' around the globe.

Mind you growth in sales is not without its problems.

BMW Quality

Edited by Cota Kid

CK some of what you say is True, but you seem to have a real hang up about two actors stealing KTM's glory?

Unfortunately the figures speak for themselves in big touring bike sales and BMW a reaping the benefits from what EW and CB accomplished, you could argue that BMW had more to loose if they had failed? The GS range was selling well so more to loose than gain by giving them the bikes? Did they take a gamble or wern't they bothered?

Bet the Big Wigs at KTM were p**sed when the two actors rolled over the finish line?

Back to KTM and the Dakar after winning the event from 2002 - 2007 (6 wins) maybe they have nothing to proove :(

........by the way BMW have also won 6 times :)

CK some of what you say is True, but you seem to have a real hang up about two actors stealing KTM's glory?

Unfortunately the figures speak for themselves in big touring bike sales and BMW a reaping the benefits from what EW and CB accomplished, you could argue that BMW had more to loose if they had failed? The GS range was selling well so more to loose than gain by giving them the bikes? Did they take a gamble or wern't they bothered?

Bet the Big Wigs at KTM were p**sed when the two actors rolled over the finish line?

Back to KTM and the Dakar after winning the event from 2002 - 2007 (6 wins) maybe they have nothing to proove :(

........by the way BMW have also won 6 times :rotfl:

KTM also won Dakar in 2008 & 2009 which makes 8. :)

I would love to see BMW back with the big cc Rally Bikes and the Dakar would have been the ideal launch pad and surely to beat KTM would have been the ultimate test of any factory. I think that the event organisers have shot themselves in the foot.

To be honest I do have a problem with the luvvie actors but its not because they stole KTM's glory. For a start it wasn't really a solo attempt was it, they had support vehicles, a team to plan the route and arrange visas, a doctor, a security advisor and the film crew. Lets not forget the bikes were also transported by train for some of the journey in Siberia. It doesn't bother me in the slightest they were on BMW and not KTM, in fact the pair of them would still get on my tits even if they were riding 2 Montesa 4RT's.

Now Ted Simon, who features in the LWR, if you haven't already read his book 'Jupiter's Travels' do, its how real adventure biking should be, not by two priviledged, pampered, actoorss.

Now Ted Simon, who features in the LWR, if you haven't already read his book 'Jupiter's Travels' do, its how real adventure biking should be, not by two priviledged, pampered, actoorss.

I've read Jupiters travels several times and given the choice would go with CB & EM, but only just. Met CB briefly and asked him why they carried all that crap when they had those support vehicles. Answered something about independance. Incidentally they arn't "actoorss" they're act-arses.

Would like to see BMW finish it with 1 of their 450s but going on how many events they've DNFed so far this year highly unlikely

Probably no factory support at all this year so how many entrants do you really expect will compete so far from home?

Hopefully this doesn't kill the bike side off