B40 Alloy Clutch

old trials fanatic

Anybody know anything about alloy clutch baskets etc to fit BSA B40 ?? Seen one or two bikes advertised and they apparently have alloy clutches. Assume this is not just to save weight but as it is rotating mass will by reducing the amount of inertia enable the engine to "pick up" sharper ? Any of you guys had any experience ? is it a worthwhile mod? If so where can you get one?

Thanks Subira.

I have spoken to Alan, going over tonite hopefully, not doing them yet he's too busy with hubs at the moment. Seems every man and his dog wants alloy hubs and he's snowed under. When i last mentioned it he was thinking about it but was concerned at the centre bearing and making sure the hardened steel outer race for the roller bearings would fit and stay fitted properly. That was the other reason i asked the question as i've seen bikes up for sale, hants off road and majesty moto, and a NEB clutch gets mentioned. I know most of the contributors to this site are into modern stuff but just wondered if anybody had any experience of alloy clutch baskets for the BSA as the spare engine i'm building up needs a new clutch and thought as i've got to replace it anyway might as well.........

If Alan gets around to it, along with his current interest in Villiers electronic ignitions, fork mods, yokes, hubs etc etc i will let you know.

Think i'll go out and buy a lathe as its a devil of a job to find anybody thats not snowed under with work at the moment and you just cant get anything done for weeks. Thanks for the response though. :banana:

• 3 weeks later...

• 11 months later...

Anybody know anything about alloy clutch baskets etc to fit BSA B40 ?? Seen one or two bikes advertised and they apparently have alloy clutches. Assume this is not just to save weight but as it is rotating mass will by reducing the amount of inertia enable the engine to "pick up" sharper ? Any of you guys had any experience ? is it a worthwhile mod? If so where can you get one?

Pros. Yes, lighter and a bit less inertia but if you wanted faster pick up you'd alter bore/stroke and/or lighten crank/piston/conrod/valve gear etc. Along with a shorter inlet manifold and other mods but then you'd defeat the purpose of a plonker and be on tarmac.

A lot of stuff 'suddenly' got made out of alloy years ago. To some extent it was faddy. It's easier to machine alloy than steel as such so in part alloy can be 'cheaper' overall.

Cons. The tanged clutch plates will wear alloy quicker than steel.

Still..what price a racing clutch basket...

Not being into bikes of my youth these days, I can't say where to get one. A speciliast obviously but you could do worse than ask Sammy Miller's as a start.

JR's views are his own...