My Gas Gas 1st Full Service Help?

ian7

Guys

I had my Gas gas 250 PRO a few months now and been on it 3 time now and want to give her a full service and would like to know what i should be doin for a full service,and how much oil does the 07 250 pro take as i will be changing the oil ofcourse?

Thanks Ian

Guys

I had my Gas gas 250 PRO a few months now and been on it 3 time now and want to give her a full service and would like to know what i should be doin for a full service,and how much oil does the 07 250 pro take as i will be changing the oil of course?

Thanks Ian

Ian,

What is actually needed in the way of service would depend on how well the dealer set the bike up after uncrating. It's always a good thing to assume nothing has been done and that way you will be able to establish a baseline. Another good idea is to keep notes on items (just a Post-It note on the wall) you service that are out of the ordinary day-to-day stuff, such as steering head bearings and suspension linkage. You'd be surprized at how time moves and something you thought you did a couple of months ago will actually have been done over a year ago.

To answer the last question, it will probably take a little over 400cc's of tranny fluid and Type-F ATF works well in the 07'. Change it often (I change mine about 5-10 hours of use of after a wet Trial) as the trans fluid also lubes the crank main bearings and more importantly, the needle bearings in the two-piece primary trans shaft (it's how GasGas can get a 6-speed gearbox out of only 4 sets of gears).

Heres some items to service and I'm sure others will add a few to the list:

Front/rear wheel bearings (pry off seal and pack with waterproof grease).

Suspension linkage (don't forget the needle bearing sets under the swingarm, most riders do just the dogbones and that's why these swingarm pivot bearings are usually the first to go bad).

Lube all pivot points on the bike like levers, rear brake bushing, throttle, etc.

Drain all the fuel and mix fresh before riding (you've had it months and only used it a couple of times and most of the "high-end aromatics" will have boiled off and escaped out the vent tube).

Check spokes and all fasteners.

These are a few to get you started and it would take several pages to list everything, and you can use the maintenance schedule for the 06' Pro at http://www.trialspartsusa.com/manuals/eng.pdf (download the 06' Owner's Manual).

Jon