New Bike For A Returning Rider?

lardarse

Evening all.

After a hell of a lay off, I *may* just be getting round to levering the missus into letting me ride again...

I don't want to/can't afford to spend a fortune, prolly up to a grand(UK Money)...

What bike (200cc and over) would be a good starter for ten please?

Used to ride an old TY 175 E, loved it to bits, but was really crap at riding it! Events would be over 40's newcomers/beginners, if I ever got to being an inter, I'd buy the whole forum a beer! :D

Thanks in advance for any advice offered, and best wishes to all

Kev

Hi! I am now aged 53 and also have returned to the world of observed trial after a 15-year cessation.

Trial riding is a extreme fun and surely is the best way to let off stress.

A new bike for a returning rider?

Today's late-model bikes would be suitable even for a returning rider.

I have recently replaced a TY-250Z (monoshock) to a 3-year old Sherco 250. I find it very light and easy to control. The best thing is that it would not exhaust you after repetitive stals and falls.

I also love TY175. It is a beautiful bike. But it is too old and too heavy. It might disappoint you when your peers do well easily while you get nowhere. Also, shortage of parts is another serious problem.

Please take it easy and enjoy trial riding.

I am sort of in the same situation trying to figure out what bike to get. I've been riding mx and off-road for years and now at 52 looking for my first trials bike. Initially I was looking to spend as little as possible and have looked at a couple TY350's, but I've decided to go for something a bit more recent. Maybe a 2001-2006 model 200-250 or something. I've heard the bigger bores are a bit of a handful to learn with. I hope I find something soon.