Hello From Hampshire

kluson

Hi Everyone.

I am seriously thinking about getting back into Trials Riding. It has been more than 30 years since I rode a Bike at all. In the mid 70's I had a Montesa cota mk1, and then an OSSA for a very brief time ending up with a Honda. Are there any clubs catering for older guys coming back? I would I guess have to start again and enter just Novice trials.

How about Bikes, I don't recognise any of the names I see Montesa are still around as a 4 stroke, would it be unfair to ask which bike I should look at?, How much should I spend> I could afford a new bike but I would be happy to spend a lot less, where's the best place to buy?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance ;)

You should go and watch a couple of trials, the ability of the modern bike and a good rider is quite something. There are quite a few events here in Hampshire most of the dates are in the weekly paper. This time of year there are the evening ones to go and watch as well as Sunday.

Either you could go modern with the latest designs or you can ride in events for twin shock bikes like the ones you used to ride.

Many thanks for that.

I was a litle unsure about the multi routes but that certainly is good for someone getting back into it.

I'll try to find something to watch this wekend,

Thanks again, I Think I could work to a

Montesa is generally a very reliable bike. I would say the older 2 stroke 250 is a bit out of date. The Sherco you were offered was probably a 290 and that would be a handful though I found mine to be reliable. Of the 2 I would choose the Sherco, but I am biased. All the makes are good. The 250 Scorpa is reliable and would be easier to ride for a re beginer, its engine is rather old. The Beta say about 3/4 years old has many followers though the riding position may not suit everyone, very tight steering though. Finally the Gas Gas perhaps the most likely to need TLC but probably the most agile lightest and up to date. Try them all.

Ask around at trials you may find a bike for sale. you want a clean original one whatever is.

Thanks again excellent advice, It'll be a while before I choose as I'm still in the thought process.I saw an evening trial at Crondall woods , that looks just the thing, they don't mind if you just plod through a section and practice , so that would suit me down to the ground to get back into the swing of things. I have a Car to sell to clear the Garage first and then decide on some form of bikle transport, probably the rack system would work best for me.

Once I've sold the Car in my Garage , The Garage will be empty and I can make a start on really finding a bike, joining a club and getting satrted in the meantime I'll try to get to a few Trials.

Many thanks again for your help it is much appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

Hi anyone else here from Hampshire, Surrey, Berkshire Wilshire., I live near Andover clsoe to the Hampshire Wiltshire Border . Berkshire and Surrey are also not so far awy.

Any clubs recommended good for beginners?,

Many thanks Mick, that looks interesting I think I was a member of Normandy many years ago and also Tongham. I think Tongham was in the Star group.

I'll investigate Normandy once I get the bike.

Thanks again