Txt270 Front Forks

scotty97

I noticed at the weekend that the front forks on my 99 txt270 has been bent back slightly on the one side causing the wheel to be slightly out. The actual bend seems to be on the top half of the forks (the part that the triple clamps, clamp on to). I've been offered a set off a 2000 txt200, in the photos the forks look exactly the same as the ones that are on my bike. does anyone know if the forks on the 2000 txt200 are the same as the ones on my txt270. same size etc.... also has anyone ever managed to remove a bend from the the top half of their forks??? its only a very slight bend and i was thinking of stripping the forks and getting the bar (top piece that goes goes down inside the bottom piece) rolled and straightened in a works shop??????????? Sh*t , i made that sound complicated.

I noticed at the weekend that the front forks on my 99 txt270 has been bent back slightly on the one side causing the wheel to be slightly out. The actual bend seems to be on the top half of the forks (the part that the triple clamps, clamp on to). I've been offered a set off a 2000 txt200, in the photos the forks look exactly the same as the ones that are on my bike. does anyone know if the forks on the 2000 txt200 are the same as the ones on my txt270. same size etc.... also has anyone ever managed to remove a bend from the the top half of their forks??? its only a very slight bend and i was thinking of stripping the forks and getting the bar (top piece that goes goes down inside the bottom piece) rolled and straightened in a works shop??????????? Sh*t , i made that sound complicated.

I'm not positive, but I think the forks are the same. Any good machine shop that understands how forks work should be able to straighten them for you with little problem. Take both tubes in to be straightened as it's rare for just one side to bend in a shunt (one side will usually get bent more than the other, but both usually get bent). The machinist will use an aluminum block with a cutout the same size as the forks (38mm) so the press bar does not cause a flat spot on the tube (although this is not generally a problem with pressure applied at the tripleclamp junction as the seal and bushings do not ride up that far) and the tolerance with the tube ends in V-blocks should be no more than .003".

Jon

cheers 4 reply. I got a good understanding of tolerances etc cos iv workd in our machine shop in wrk but we have no equipment with the capability of straightening the tubes, but i think il strip them and take them in and check where and how much they r bent. Il have to find sum1 in south wales who can straightening them 4 me. anyone on here know 4 a workshop in south wales who could do it?