What To Look Out For With A Used 315

kluson

Hi Guys

I think I have set my heart on the Montesa 315. I am only coming back to Trials after a 30 year lay off. The bikes have changed so much. I had a go on a mates 315 and loved it, he has lowered the gearing which he suggested that I should do if I got one and also added the slow throttle.. I think his gearing is 10 -42.

What should I look out for when looking at second hand used 315R, I'm thinking about one from say 2001 - 2003.

I have seen a 2001 on the net , nice looking condition from a dealer at

Sounds a bit steep to me.

Check the play in the swinging arm, the standard bearings have a habit of rusting away.

I can't think of anything else other than general motorbike things - non rattly engine, good fork stanchions etc..

The good thing is most parts are comparatively cheap.

Sandifords keep about one of everything in stock so are usually next day, H&D Racing do some cool parts and kits.

Thanks for the replies and tips.

I had a very quick look at it on Thursday. It does look in great condition> it is with a dealer and I guess I would pay a higher price but I guess that buying from a well known dealer would give me a bit of peace of mind.

I think I'll take a better look at it and ask some more questions

Thanks again

Dave