Adjusting Tension On Camchain

bobtlr

hey

in low revs my 3.2 makes a clattering noise i think cam chain tension?

can you adjust it or is it a self adjusting system?

i've heart that it could be the decompressor system to

do i need to take any action on this or is there no real problem, the bike works fine and starts perfect (2007 3.2)

regards bob

hey

in low revs my 3.2 makes a clattering noise i think cam chain tension?

can you adjust it or is it a self adjusting system?

i've heart that it could be the decompressor system to

do i need to take any action on this or is there no real problem, the bike works fine and starts perfect (2007 3.2)

regards bob

Bob, there have been reports in the past of folke replacing these things to fix rattles, not sure about them myself. :thumbup:

Hi,

There have been reports of broken tensioner springs - it is self tensioning. I would remove it as it is very straightforward (just take the 2 bolts out - to replace if it is Ok remember to re-tension it before trying to replace otherwise it'll never go back in) and check the spring is OK first of all.

Regards

Jim

I have a 2009 Sherco 3.2 with less than 10 hours on it. There is an intermittent clatter when I start the bike and it is just warming up and the idle has not stabilized, and as the bike warms up for a minute or two the idle increases and the noise stops. The clatter will return when riding if I let the rpm's drop below a normal idle speed and will immediately go away if I increase the engine speed.

I emailed Ryan Young about the sound and he said it is the Valve Decompressor and is normal. The engine releases some compression at low revs and the decompressor is activated by a weight on the cam - low revs allow the decompressor to be activated.

I am just going to alter my riding style to avoid really low rpm's and keep the decompressor from engaging except at start up.

I have a 2009 Sherco 3.2 with less than 10 hours on it. There is an intermittent clatter when I start the bike and it is just warming up and the idle has not stabilized, and as the bike warms up for a minute or two the idle increases and the noise stops. The clatter will return when riding if I let the rpm's drop below a normal idle speed and will immediately go away if I increase the engine speed.

I emailed Ryan Young about the sound and he said it is the Valve Decompressor and is normal. The engine releases some compression at low revs and the decompressor is activated by a weight on the cam - low revs allow the decompressor to be activated.

I am just going to alter my riding style to avoid really low rpm's and keep the decompressor from engaging except at start up.

This is true, and also what I thought initially, untill the tensioner springs issue. I like the bike because it will chug(no Mont here) that low, yet it is still probably adviseable to keep the idle setting up a bit. :thumbup: