Suspension Settings

sectiononecleaner

Does anyone know who can advise on correct suspension settings for bike, i have tryed all sorts.

Im 15 stone 11 at present and have an ohlins shock fitted with stiffer spring.

I have recently been told not to have any sag on spring so have adjusted to take up slack. A bit springy now so slowed it down.

Front forks i have played with and on montesa have 3 settings this just confuses me . I have 7.5 oil in not 5 as couldnt get enough cushioning (good feel) with making it too springy. I have therfore would the compression up but this makes it too hard and turning a problem so today reverted it softer and more springy, which has helped the tunring.

What i want to know is does anyone have any good tips and also who really knows how to set up suspension correctly. Coming from motocross there were loads of guys but nothing much in trials?

Thanks

Gday - there are as many opinions as riders on this subject. For what its worth, this is what I try for -

Set the spring first, this is what actually does the work. On a trials bike virtually no sag when unladen, and go for about 1/3 total travel when you are on the bike. Check sag with all damping off (compression and rebound if you have them) for the front and the back. Don't check front sag with the front brake on. After that is OK, then go for the damping, this is personal preference. Its probably best to start with everything set in the middle and go from there. Adjust only one at a time and note what you change so if you don't like it you can go back to where you were before. Remember that compression damping affects how the fork responds to a hit - exactly that - compressing the spring, and rebound affects how the spring comes back to rest - spring extending. Sometimes it can be worthwhile to ride the bike with each setting flat out to get a feel for what each can do (one at a time, and with the spring set correctly first). The most important thing is to remember that the spring does the work and the damping controls the spring after that. If the spring is wrong, changing oil weights etc will not stop it bottoming out or not moving at all when you hit that rock.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork

cheers dude makes alot of sense. By the way got a mate moving to oz in a few weeks from our local club. Our top rider Michael Brown who rides at the club has been before and i remember him telling me observation there is often done on your own. How trustworthy is that? Anyway he is riding in syd so good luck to him. Thanks for advice it makes sense

Very first thing to do is set the sag at both ends. 1/3 sag when you are stood on the bike. Do this befor messing with damping. Do not adjust once it is set. if you have to put lots of turns onto a spring to get the sag set correctly - you will need a stiffer spring.

.........then mess with damping.....

1/3 when stood on the bike.