315r Clutch

ronnie35

Hi all, after a while looking for a montesa i finally bought one, last weekend. Been away from the motorcycle scene for a few years, and fancied trying something different in the form of trials hence the mont! I love it, but i have a lot of practising to do.

Anyway my question, clutch on the bike needs replacing i think, as it pulls slightly in gear when i have the clutch in and, its like a switch with no modulation. Is it worth getting a genuine Honda clutch kit, or a pattern one? (i see apico make friction plates for them)

Also the bike didnt come with an owners manual, how easy are these to obtain?checked ebay but to no avail.

Thanks in advance

Reian

Hi Reian and welcome!

It sounds to me like the clutch needs bleeding. It may well be that this is preventing it dissengaging fully. If you do a search on here (don't use the live chat box like everyone else on here has done at least once!) there'll be some details how to do this. It's free, so I'd try that first.

Regarding the grabbiness, my mate's 98 bike is very grabby (the worse bit about the bike, in my opinion) and I know he did a bit of digging and found it was a common complaint. Oil choice makes a difference, but I think 315s seem to be a bit like that.

Again, do a search on here and I'm sure you'll get a picture forming.

Graham

My 315 had a terrible clutch. All of the original clutches were bad, its a well documented problem on here. The clutch grabbed, dragged at a stand still and it was imposible to find neutral at a stand still. I got some replacement friction plates from Haven (I think) and I used PJ1 75w light gear oil. Transformed the bike and they were relatively cheap though it was a few years ago.

Top tip - remove the clutch cover to put the gear oil in its far easier and the cover has an O ring that is re useable.

Regards Scragg

Many thanks for the help guys, will try the brake bleeding tonight if that doesnt improve things i shall get some friction plates and oil. Thats a great tip tip re gearbox oil filling, i did notice where the oil is supposed to be filled, and thought that would be a nightmare to do!

I have a lot to learn about the bike, but im keen. Next step i guess is to find a local club to me (West Wales)

Regards

Reian

Many thanks for the help guys, will try the brake bleeding tonight if that doesnt improve things i shall get some friction plates and oil. Thats a great tip tip re gearbox oil filling, i did notice where the oil is supposed to be filled, and thought that would be a nightmare to do!

I have a lot to learn about the bike, but im keen. Next step i guess is to find a local club to me (West Wales)

Regards

Reian

Clutch is still the same, so i ordered some genuine Honda friction plates from Sandifords, hopefully arrive on Saturday. For a possible novice event on Sunday (see topic in general trials talk!)

re grarbox oil i understad 0W 30 is the the grade to go for?

Regards

Reian

Clutch is still the same, so i ordered some genuine Honda friction plates from Sandifords, hopefully arrive on Saturday. For a possible novice event on Sunday (see topic in general trials talk!)

re gearbox oil i understad 0W 30 is the the grade to go for?

Regards

Reian

You should try ATF. (Automatic transmission fluid)

It is cheap, available just about everywhere and it works a treat.

I've been using it for years in a variety of bikes (including my 315R) without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem.

Solved with combination Apico (dimpled) and standard Honda (paper and cork) plates

Proper gear box oil

New master cylinder piston

Bleed the whole system good and proper

But what I really think made the difference were new clutch springs - the old ones were compressed by about a quarter of an inch. Try replacing those first.