Piston Conrod Clearance

triple_x

Hi

I am in the final stages of rebuilding my Sherpa 80 series motor.

Bottom end is complete and fine.

I am about to fit the new piston and any clarification on side play at the small end would be helpfull.

I have 2 Sherpa the other is a 198-A which has recessed spacers between the needle roller and piston.

The new piston for the 80 engine is not machined either side of the small end, so my question is :-

A Do I turn some recessed washers and equalise the conrod with the pistons centreline minimising side play.

B Not worry and just use the plain washers supplied by bultaco UK and thin them to minimise the side slack on the end of the rolller bearing allowing the piston to self align in the bore.

Kind regards

Martin

Hi Martin,

There were piston centralising spacers fitted to the Bultaco's and it may be that later pattern pistons are not supplied with any. I haven't seen any fitted to more modern 2 stroke motors over the years and would be inclined to say that the piston will centralise itself when assembled in the barrel, so proceed as plan B.

Bye, PeterB.