Flywheel Torque Settings & Timing

kurt

I like to take the flywheel of for an inspection and cleaning. I noticed GG uses a bolt instead of a flywheel nut. The manual says torque the flywheel bolt up to 40Nm which seems very low to me, is this correct? What do you recommend/do? The technical guide for Sherco 2.9 2003 says 73 lbs/ft for the flywheel which is about 100Nm!

That's quite a difference, most flywheel nuts torque settings I saw were higher, maybe it is low because it is a bolt?

My 27mm flywheel puller don't fit, I'll need a special flywheel puller, it looks very fine (step 1.0?) thread inside the fllywheel.

Is there any adjustment possible with the advance/retard setting of the ignition? Since the pickup is mounted outside, moving the stator is useless.

There are now marks on the black flywheel, can I strobe-check the advance? What are the specs?

Hi Kurt,

Lots of questions.

If you have the flywheel off, then remove the stator and grease the end of the crank shaft, prevents it from getting rusty down the track.

The flywheel to crankshaft tapers offer a very tight fit, the nut/bolt at the end of the crank should be reasonably tight, I don't use any torque figures, prefer going by feel.

Pretty sure the pitch of the puller thread is 1.0mm.

If you want to adjust the static timing, you can slot the pick up sensor holes to provide a good range of adjustment, on the 300 I find the timing spot on.

Put your own marks on the flywheel for strobing if you must.

Bye, PeterB.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks peter,

I first need to buy a flywheel puller 27x1mm.

I really like to use a torque wrench for the flywheel bolt/nut. I once had a sheared taper on teh crank of my oldtimer Lambretta and still not sure if the flywheel was tight enough. So since then I use a torque wrench. At first I also worked 'by feel' but then I checked with the torquewrench and I needed to do another half turn to get the right torque setting.

Still I find the 40Nm in the manual very low, it is not the first error in the manual i found. I don't trust it I will go for a higher figure.

Peter, I also read you post about lowering the gap between the flywheel and the external pickup from 0,5 to 0.1mm for better hot starting.

I had a look at this, but the pickup is fixed with 1 hexbolt and 1 sort of stand with innerthread for the flywheel cover bolt. I'm not sure how to loosen this stand before I can move the pickup. Does it need a special key or so?

Ooh also this; with the bike came a sort of metal tube (cilinder) about 30mm high, 10mm wide, only 1mm thick metal. Why is good for, I tought it has something to with the flyhweel?

Hi Kurt,

The pick-up to flywheel clearence info is there only for Ducati ign systems, I am pretty sure your year model has a Kokusan ign system.

If you must use a torque wrench, then go for 40Nm, the bolt is only 10mm dia, not like the much larger nuts found on other motor cranks.

To loosen the pick up sensor, use a correct size spanner (5 or 6mm, can't remember but I have one in my bike tool box), may come loose with pliers. There is a little slack on the mounting holes to position the sensor accordingly.

That 30 x 10 tube - I don't know! I have one too.

Bye, PeterB.