Rev 3 Exhaust Mid Box

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. Just finished decoking my front pipe and silencer and the bike sounds and revs so much better than it did. I did it by soaking the pipe in petrol and throwing a match at it and running like hell. The pipe burned for ages and after a light tap with a rubber mallet all the old carbon came out. I was wondering whether I could use the same technique on the aluminium midbox or is there a danger of it melting ? Am i correct in thinking the mesh inside the mid box is steel rather than aluminium ? I was wondering whether anybody has used this technique on the midbox. I don't have access to oxy-acetelene or a propane burner. I know I can't use anything caustic as it reacts with aluminium. Apologies if someone has allready posed this question but I couldn't find an appropriate answer on the forum. Regards. Gareth

Gday, I have cleaned a couple of Rev 3 ones with a cold parts cleaner (My version is called carbo clean, and is used for decoking pistons and barrels, cleaning carbs etc. ) It will remove paint and destroys some plastics etc but doesnt harm metal. An automotive machining place may be able to help you out with this one.

Cheers,

Stork