Ty250 Ehxaust / Silencer

b5computer

Hi

Just got a TY250 Mono - red frame so reckon around 1985 ish.

Does not run well so amongst other things I looked at the silencer

The rear silencer seems completely clogged with oil/carbon and I want to know if I am wasting my time trying to clean it?

I think from reading other posts that I cannot burn it out as it has glass fibre in it which will melt. I tried soaking it in brake cleaner for 24hrs and it has taken some off but still reallly clogged. It is clogged to the point that if you pour brake cleaner in 1 end it wont run out the other so I assume neither will the exhaust gases be able to flow the way they are supposed to!

Is the fibre removable? or does it involve cutting/welding which is beyond me.

Any advice would be a great help

What silencer is it as most tail pipes have been / were replaced with the type that are re packable ie Wes, Dep or WHY. Are there pop rivets near the end?? if so they need to be drilled out remove the end cap and re pack with new exhaust packing and clean. Then re fit the end cap and re rivet. (You can get a rivetter for less than 10 pounds inc rivets) :D

PS there are a couple of aftermarket silencers that were not this type made by Shirty, Birkett etc Oval sort of shape..

Edited by bo drinker

Gday, the front pipe can be hot tank cleaned if it is steel. They are on the twin shocks, dont know about the later ones. This can be done at your local automotive machinist place, they usually have this for cleaning engine blocks etc. Mufflers are repackable, if not easy to get apart they can be cut, packed and rewelded but it may well be easier to get an aftermarket one as mentioned above.

Cheers,

Stork

• 2 years later...

Just raising this old subject if I could. Can one of you guys or anyone else explain more about the TY mono exhaust system? Front section first: does this have some sort of packing inside to keep it quiet, and does it deteriorate over time? And if it's no good inside, can I cut it open, replace the packing and reweld closed again? The back alloy section: does

it also have a packing that goes off and needs replacing?

My bike has a loud bark to it and I imagine that it should run quieter, which I'd like to do, without forking out a fortune for new aftermarket exhausts. Many thanks.